Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Unofficial Anonymous Follis of Christ?  (Read 1155 times)

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Unofficial Anonymous Follis of Christ?
« on: May 23, 2019, 08:31:10 am »

6.880g, 26.3mm
This coin was consigned as a very rare overstruck anonymous follis.  I think it is double struck, not overstruck, and unofficial.  Anyone seen the type before?  Any references?  Comments? Opinions?
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
Re: Unofficial Anonymous Follis of Christ?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2019, 10:24:12 am »
I'm not sure if the reverse legends are "confusing" from multiple strikes, or if they're just gibberish.....randomly engraved letters to imitate a legend.

Offline Edessa

• Consul
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2019, 10:52:02 am »
I am having a hard time making any part of the reverse legend look official from any angle.  Joe, my guess would be that you are correct - unofficial with multiple strikes.

Eugene
Eugene

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2019, 01:04:26 pm »
I think it's safe to say it's at least a double strike.  There appears to be at least three lines of legend running vertically from the bottom of the reverse.  This seems to indicate that the planchet was rotated 90 degrees between strikes.

As oriented in the picture......The top line appears to show a "U", then a double "SS", and a double "II".  Forward or backward, neither makes sense.  And the letters are clear enough that I don't think it's due to a double strike.  It's tough to figure out how any of that could be read as IHSUS.

The second line from the top appears to be (X)RISTUS, but retrograde.  Likewise, there's no obvious distortion to indicate a double strike when the planchet was in this orientation.

The line of legend across the middle is a real mess.

I can't see any clear signs of multiple strikes on the obverse, such as a second outline of the nimbus.

Interesting coin, all around, though!

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2019, 06:52:36 pm »
I am still having a hard time describing this. I wish I knew where it was found. I suspect it may be Arab but I really don't know. Thoughts?
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Obryzum

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2019, 08:20:15 pm »
I see evidence of a double struck obverse.

I think there is evidence of both over striking and double striking on the reverse.   The undertype lettering circled in blue seems like the lettering of the official mint.  The lettering circled in green looks barbaric and garbled -- not a product of the imperial mint.  I agree that it seems the double strike was rotated 90 degrees.

Although I do not have DOC with me at the moment, I know that some of the plates in DOC show barbaric issues.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity