Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Import a small personal collection of ancient coins from the UK to the USA.  (Read 1866 times)

Offline Mar S

• Legionary
Hi to all,

this might have been answered already but I am getting confused with the results from the Search. So basically, I have a very simple question. I have a small collection of ancient coins that I want to bring to the USA from UK. I moved to the US recently and I am not sure whether my collection runs the danger of being stopped or seized at the border control. Do you have any advice on this? I miss my babies and I would like to have them here with me  ;D ;D

Thanks in advance.

Offline Mark Fox

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Dear Mar S and Board,

A lot depends on what kind(s) of ancient coins you are trying to import.  If they were struck in the UK or found there, then there will likely not be an issue with importing them into the US, but there will still be the matter of exporting them from Britain.  A lot of collectors and dealers don't realize it, but the proper way for such coins to leave Britain is with the blessing of an export permit/license (which are overall easy to acquire in many cases, but which can take time).  On the other hand, if the coins are clearly not of British origin, then no export documents are needed, which was a recent change if I recall correctly.  Importation in this case might be a tad trickier, however, if any of the coins happens to be a type that is restricted by an MOU between the US and another country like Italy or Greece, in which case an export permit and/or a good provenance would help greatly.  That being said, I can't remember if there is an actual requirement by the US for such evidence to travel with the coins, but I do know it is something that doesn't seem to concern the majority of the world's coin importers even now.        

Since the previous link concerned "gold coins, medals, and bullion," you may get more information out of this page:        

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/359/kw/importing%20antiques

Hope some of this helps.  

Best regards,

Mark Fox
Michigan

Offline Mar S

• Legionary
Thank you very much for your replies. None of these coins have been struck (or probably found) in the UK-they almost all come from [REMOVED BY ADMIN] and they are relatively cheap imperial Roman-Byzantine bronze coins and crusader deniers.

Offline Callimachus

• Caesar
If you ever return to the UK and want to bring the coins back with you, there may be some problems unless you can prove you owned them before you left. You might also want to consider this possibility.

Offline Mar S

• Legionary
I have the receipt printouts saved on my hard drive and ebay screenshots and sale confirmation emails so I think if the authorities want to launch an investigation on my 1500$ worth of not particularly rare low end coins (but still they are my babies ;D ;D) I think I will be able to defend myself. ;D. Thank for the additional advice.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity