Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Interpreting ring design?  (Read 1620 times)

Offline SeptimusT

• Praetorian
Interpreting ring design?
« on: May 13, 2019, 12:49:36 pm »
Any thoughts on what the design on this ring is (or any thoughts on it, really). I have an idea of what it might show, but I'd rather get some unbiased opinions. I know that the impression is poor, but that is the best possible in its degraded condition. It could be viewed in other orientations, the current one is just a guess.

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
Re: Interpreting ring design?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2019, 02:18:42 pm »
In looking at the actual ring, the first thing that I see appears to be a horse head facing left, but I'm not sure if all what I see is the design on the ring or possibly just surface roughness.

These things can be like mini Rorschach tests.

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2019, 04:47:06 pm »
Look like a Capricornus to me... ::)

Q.
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2019, 07:38:14 pm »

Offline SeptimusT

• Praetorian
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2019, 01:09:18 pm »
Agree that it is essentially an ancient Rorschach, especially when it's this degraded. I had actually thought it might show an owl with a crescent behind it (the crescent is very distinct on the ring itself), and hadn't thought of it possibly being a horse or hippocampus. Owls are not the most common design for Roman rings, but not completely unheard of either.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity