Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Imitation of roman aureus of Antoninus Pius from India  (Read 1282 times)

Offline antoninus1

• Consul
Imitation of roman aureus of Antoninus Pius from India
« on: May 12, 2019, 06:31:50 pm »
From time to time indian imitations of roman aurei appear on the market. For example CNG sold a collection about 2 years ago. The coins served for commercial use and for jewellery.

I could acquire one piece which copies an aureus of my preferred emperor Antoninus Pius combining the obverse with a reverse from Faustina. Typical is the blundered obverse legend (but consisting of a kind of letters) and the correct reverse legend which looks as if it was intended. Was it to avoid troubles with roman authorities when pretending an original coin by using the emperor´s name?
The weight is 7,03 grams. (First picture)

Recently I saw another "contemporary imitation" in an auction which differs a lot (second picture). It seems to be cast, has a different style ( I would say cruder and  more "Indian") and both reverse and obverse are of Antoninus´. The obverse legend is completely blundered (only circles and strokes), but the reverse is again almost correct. The weight is only 6,24 grams which should have caused problems when the coin was used for trade, except the value was determined by its weight.

Maybe this coin is not contemporary (still ancient, but later) and not even a coin but rather a piece of jewellery? I couldn´t find a similar piece so far except one, a copy of an aureus of Faustina, in Paula J. Turner´s "Roman Coins from India" (third picture). So I didn´t bid on it.

What do you think?

All coins are guaranteed for eternity