Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Saint Pontius Pilate  (Read 1216 times)

Offline JBF

• Caesar
Saint Pontius Pilate
« on: April 20, 2019, 01:13:11 pm »
A little Easter trivia

"both Pilate and his wife are devoutly worshiped as saints in Ethiopia.  Indeed, June 25 is their feast day.  On that occasion, faithful members of the Ethiopic Christian Church are supposed to think about and pray to Saint Pilate and his wife!"
"The reason?  Because at the trial of Jesus, Pilate washed his hands and said: "I am innocent of the blood of this just man."
Source:  Ludwig's Handbook of New Testament Rulers and Cities, by Charles Ludwig.

Lavina L

Re: Saint Pontius Pilate
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2019, 09:09:37 am »
Soorry but I haven't caught what are talking about?:) I've read you mwssage several times and again...maybe I could help you if I know how

Offline JBF

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2019, 01:02:26 pm »
I just think that it is fascinating how someone vilified in one area of Christianity, is sanctified in another.

Certain pagan philosophers were thought of by Church fathers, to be Christians, because they philosophized about the Logos and therefore must have known Jesus.  Heraclitus, Socrates and Plato for example.

(Jn. 1.1) In the beginning was the Word (Logos) and the Word was with God and the Word was God.

The sibyl (Delphic?, Cumae??) was said to have prophesied the coming of Jesus and therefore was also considered to be a Christian.

Offline wileyc

• Caesar
    • Forum gallery:
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2019, 11:36:50 pm »
have taken a few religious classes in my day though I tend to Buddhism as a thought process, I confess no real religious views firmly, That being said... I always thought it odd that Pilate was vilified as without him Christ would not have died for the sins of mankind, hence he sort of gets the short end of the stick being blamed for the decision in which Jesus was put on earth for.... just a random thought here.... peace to all, no offense meant to any.

cw

....if this is too religious  of a comment it can be deleted by the moderators, without offense taken.

Offline JBF

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2019, 12:24:43 am »
Pilate put Roman religious implements on Jewish Coinage, and was hated for it by the Jews.  Pilate earned a little animosity from the Jews and presumably others.  But, it is funny thinking of St. Pontius Pilate.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity