Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Syracuse or?  (Read 904 times)

Offline Flav V

• Caesar
Syracuse or?
« on: April 08, 2019, 02:22:46 pm »
Dear members, im new on greek coins. I have a question, this coin: https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=4839400
Is it from Syracuse? I see many same type coins but with different marks, sense for portrait or quadriga. Wildwinds rank it on ''Sicily, punic''. I saw another coin ranked in same list and twice on panormos. Hos to know the city?

Offline JBF

• Caesar
Re: Syracuse or?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2019, 07:53:38 pm »
The Phoenicians on the West side of Sicily imitated Syracusan coins.  That is why you see Phoenician (Punic) coins with a goddess on one side, and a quadriga on the other.  Panormus (modern Palermo) is within the Phoenician sphere of influence, and so it could be from there, but not necessarily.  The Kunker citation named another place (Kephal...?), but I imagine that nobody is that sure of it, some of these things are very obscure. 

I don't doubt that the coin is Punic, it doesn't quite have the artistry of Syracuse issues.  Plus, I am sure that Kunker did their homework to the extent that these things are known.

Offline Flav V

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2019, 08:48:16 am »
Thank you for your reply, ;)

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2019, 01:51:03 pm »
You find more about these coins in the first part of Jenkin's "Coins of punic sicily": http://dx.doi.org/10.5169/seals-174005

Regards

Altamura

Offline Flav V

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2019, 11:10:14 am »
Nice link, thanks

All coins are guaranteed for eternity