Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Which Emperor? Justinian I? Victory Walking  (Read 877 times)

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Which Emperor? Justinian I? Victory Walking
« on: March 23, 2019, 06:36:22 am »
I just received a nice Byzantine lead seal of an Emperor on the obverse and Winged Victory advancing, wearing a long chiton and holding a victory wreath in each hand on the reverse.  It measures approximately 21 mm and weighs 10.59 g  I believe it is Justinian I.  It came from a Spanish collection. Any ideas?  Pogh Poor
All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
Re: Which Emperor? Justinian I? Victory Walking
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2019, 05:43:43 am »
I think it must be earlier. A very similar seal was sold not so long ago (photo below, courtesy of CNG). Yours does not have a name, but this one clearly reads ZENO, although there is some double strike. So I am thinking we are dealing with late 5th century seal here as well. Maybe also Zeno, but anepigraphic, possibly Anastasius, although some of Anastasius' seals are known that are quite different.
Regards
Gert

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Re: Which Emperor? Justinian I? Victory Walking
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2019, 07:55:13 am »
I am thinking that it is earlier - especially because of so many Justinian seals are as a nimbate bust.  Pogh_poor
All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity