Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Precise Gallienus Attribution  (Read 669 times)

Offline simmurray

• Consul
Precise Gallienus Attribution
« on: March 18, 2019, 04:27:42 am »
Hi,

I have been cleaning the attached coin which I am pretty certain the obverse says Gallienus but looks more like Carausius (?) and the reverse is confusing me - it seems to say SOLICO and I know Gallienus has several with SOLI CONS but cannot find a precise match for my example.

Any help appreciated

Thanks
Steve

Offline AMICTUS

• Consul
Re: Precise Gallienus Attribution
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2019, 05:30:42 am »
A carausian overstrike (with Jupiter standing on the reverse ?) of an antoninianus of Gallienus with SOLI CONS AVG (Pegasus) on the reverse.

Offline simmurray

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2019, 05:37:07 am »
Quote from: AMICTUS on March 18, 2019, 05:30:42 am
A carausian overstrike (with Jupiter standing on the reverse ?) of an antoninianus of Gallienus with SOLI CONS AVG (Pegasus) on the reverse.

Thank you - I was thinking something similar but never seen anything quite like this.

Offline Harry G

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2019, 02:02:22 pm »
Very interesting piece - I've never seen one like it before! Nice find  +++ +++

I wonder why they overstruck it with Carausius' bust without his name, surely one of the most important parts of the coin!

Harry
Please check out my gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=6793

Have a nice day!

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2019, 02:46:11 pm »
GALLI survives from the undertype, like SOLI CO on the reverse. Carausius' name was indeed on the new die, it just wasn't struck up.
Curtis Clay

Offline AMICTUS

• Consul
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2019, 03:29:47 pm »
It is possible that the last part of the obverse legend following GALLI... is a remaining part of that of Carausius  (... SIVS PF AVG ?). As there is no PF for Gallienus during the 6th issue at Rome

Offline TenthGen

• Consul
  • Ferrata Fidelis Constans
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2019, 08:42:31 pm »
Definitely a fun coin to find. I presume this came from an uncleaned lot?

Offline simmurray

• Consul
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2019, 09:15:52 pm »
Definitely a fun coin to find. I presume this came from an uncleaned lot?

Yes, it was in an uncleaned lot from the UK

On a side note, due to the novelty of this coin I have sent pictures of it to the British Museum who have confirmed it’s an over strike and its being registered on PAS hopefully this week. The BM mentioned its quite a common overstrike to see in the UK Roman coins

Thanks
Steve

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2019, 07:05:08 am »
Maybe a common TYPE of overstrike, but I wouldn't call this coin a common overstrike. The peculiar way the undertype legend has come through is very unusual.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline simmurray

• Consul
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2019, 07:40:06 am »
Maybe a common TYPE of overstrike, but I wouldn't call this coin a common overstrike. The peculiar way the undertype legend has come through is very unusual.

I am no expert in the minting of coins and definitely not overstriking a coin but I cannot understand how the original legend has been left behind so clearly in parts. I assumed at the very least the original legend would be flattened to some degree or some sign of the new legend would be present.

The BM seems to be keen to know if it had a mintmark so not sure if they are trying to perfectly attribute the coin, understand the process of this overstrike or even if a certain mint in Roman Britain is doing this.

Its a puzzle which is clearly beyond me

Thanks
Steve

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2019, 07:47:07 am »
I have seen many inexplicable overstrikes where parts of the undertype are unexpectedly preserved.  Before seeing so many examples, I would have thought such things impossible, but the proof is in their existence.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

All coins are guaranteed for eternity