Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Please help ID medieval?.  (Read 492 times)

Offline Daniel T2

• Legionary
Please help ID medieval?.
« on: March 17, 2019, 06:05:50 pm »
Hi all:

Could you help me with this?

11-gr 20-mm

Could you help me with this?
I can not find any clue ...
It is not in very good condition, but I think that I really lack the right knowledge.

Many thanks. :)

Offline Edessa

• Consul
  • I love this forum!
Re: Please help ID medieval?.
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2019, 09:39:29 pm »
France, Feudal, Maine. Herbert I Eveille-Chien (Wakedog), 1015-1035 AD. AR Denier. Cenomanliis (Le Mans) mint. Obv: + SIGNVM DEI VIVI; Cross pattee withing dotted circle; pellet in each of upper two quadrants; in lower two quadrants Λ - ω. Rev: + COMES CENOMANIS; "Hubertus" monogram
within dotted circle. Ref: PdA.1580.

I have trouble with these also due to the many subtle legend variations. Part of the legend on your coin is hard to read, so you might want to look it up for yourself to confirm. You can download Poey d'Avant Volume 1 by searching for it through the Numiswiki link on the FORVM toolbar at the top of this page. 

Eugene
Eugene

Offline Daniel T2

• Legionary
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2019, 10:02:19 pm »
Thanks Eugen !!!: :laugh: :laugh:

I did not know where else to look, download  the book and then I tell you what I find. I looking for this way.

Really, a thousand thanks, I'm still learning with you.

Cordial greetings from Argentina. (Pardon my poor english... :P)

A hug.  +++

Offline Daniel T2

• Legionary
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2019, 06:42:06 pm »
Thanks again Eugen: :)
The books you told me are very good.
I found something about the symbols that intrigued me, I hope these are correct.

... "The obverse contains the Count’s monogram. The reverse contains a cross and both the alpha and omega symbols. These symbols are allusion back to the Book of Revelations in which Jesus states that I am the Alpha and Omega"...

Herbert I, Count of Maine, Kingdom of France AR denier Obv: +COMES CENOMANIS ("Count of Maine"), monogram of Herbert within circle Rev: +SIGNVM DEI VIVI ("sign of the living God"), cross with pellets and letters in corners, all within circle Mint

In the Book:

Poeyd'Avant Volume 1

Text: pag. 212-213

Despite the state of the coin, I think it corresponds to figure 19, because of the size of the points and the position of the alpha and omega symbols.

I keep learning thanks to you.

Cordial greetings from Argentina. +++

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2019, 11:44:39 am »
That certainly looks correct to me.  I wonder what was the origin of the Count's knickname?

Offline Edessa

• Consul
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2019, 01:42:38 pm »
Good job - I think you got it!  Here is what I found online..."obtained his nickname "Wake-dog" for having to constantly resist the intrusions of his Angevin neighbors to the south. From the time Herbert became count in 1017, he was almost constantly at war with Avesgaud de Bellême, Bishop of Le Mans."

Eugene
Eugene

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2019, 02:07:15 pm »
Great thread+++

Congratulation  +++

Q.
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar