Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: greek owl - AR-Tetradrachm  (Read 323 times)

Offline palves

• Consul
greek owl - AR-Tetradrachm
« on: March 17, 2019, 12:21:27 pm »
Hi,

I bought this coin from a reputable dealer. I am sure the coin was clean and you can see some surface corrosion. Still, I think the overall condition is ok for my limited budget.

I dont have experience with this coins. I would like to hear some opinions on the coin and if possible a more precise ID.

17g and 22mm

Thanks

Offline PMah

• Caesar
  • Qui risus classe devicta multas ipsi lacrimas...
Re: greek owl - AR-Tetradrachm
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2019, 06:05:22 pm »
What did the dealer say it was?
Be Well, Stay Healthy, Support your Local Numismatic Club

Paul 

My Gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album

Offline palves

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2019, 06:12:31 pm »
What did the dealer say it was?

Helmeted Athena to the right. Rev .: AΘE owl stands to the right and looks straight ahead, behind her olive branch with fruit and crescent moon

425-400 bc

Offline PMah

• Caesar
  • Qui risus classe devicta multas ipsi lacrimas...
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2019, 07:14:54 pm »
I may not be as clear as I hoped.  I am trying to convey that if the dealer did not identify this as an "Athenian" Owl Tetradrachm, then perhaps the dealer had some doubt as to whether it was an ancient imitation. The dealer certainly got the basic facts right, so leaving out "Athens" is somewhat significant.    The Owl was so important and accepted that some cities issued look-alikes.  These coins are easily researched on-line and it may be very fun and informative to look up the subtle differences.
Be Well, Stay Healthy, Support your Local Numismatic Club

Paul 

My Gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2019, 01:19:26 pm »
The coin seems to have a filled test cut. You see it on the obverse at about 10 o'clock.

To decide whether it is an Athenian product or a contemporary imitation is beyond my knowledge  :(.
As far as I know in the numismatic literature of the last decades there have been quite a lot of discussions which variants are from Athens and which not, with changing attributions. This doesn't seem to be really clear.

Regards

Altamura

All coins are guaranteed for eternity