Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Fake Republican Denarius bought here in FORVM Auctions  (Read 1350 times)

Offline .QVINTVS.FABIVS.MAXIMVS.

• Legionary
Fake Republican Denarius bought here in FORVM Auctions
« on: March 16, 2019, 11:26:20 am »
When I received the coin in the mail, I noticed the edge looked off with little bubbles in it. But I assumed FORVM auctions were safe. I want to hear what you all have to say before I contact the seller for a refund.

"I always hate to do this, but this coin is unquestionably a modern counterfeit. The style is completely wrong. Compare to the examples on this page https://numismatica-classica.lamoneta.it/moneta/R-G164/1."

If you search "Saran" in the FORVM fake coin reports you'll find very similar examples (and the mine because I wrongly thought the fake coin reports were for discussion)

Thanks!

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
Re: Fake Republican Denarius bought here in FORVM Auctions
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2019, 12:46:21 pm »
Looks like a die match to this one?  I'm on my tablet so tough to compare.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/fakes/displayimage.php?pos=-4745

This looks like the die

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/fakes/displayimage.php?pos=-9764

Online Dominic T

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2019, 12:57:37 pm »
The guy is selling here on forum’s auctions for years. Over 140 coins sold without any bad ratings. So I would give him the benefit of the doubt. But as you said, the best thing to do is contacting him and explain the situation. I would be very surprised if he doesn’t react well.
DT

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2019, 12:59:36 pm »
I didn't see that one on the Members' Auction and nobody reported it. If you have an problem getting a refund, let me know.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline .QVINTVS.FABIVS.MAXIMVS.

• Legionary
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2019, 03:09:38 pm »
Thanks all for your comments and support. I've bought a very nice Vespasian denarius from the seller before so I agree, he probably didn't realize it was a modern fake.

Alc

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2019, 08:15:35 am »
Hello all,

I apologize for this issue i have generated, I have replayed to Danny today. I will refund the money, no second thoughts about that.
I have not logged in on Forum for some time and i have not seen till today, the action note Danny sent me.
I am really sorry for this mistake, but this was not at all with intention, far from me this kind of actions.
Dominic, many, many thanks for giving me the benefit of the doubt, indeed this was just a mistake; this is the first time i have sold to anyone a coin proven to be fake.

Many thanks again for your understanding.
All the best!
alc   

All coins are guaranteed for eternity