Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Help with attribution please--Elagabalus??  (Read 785 times)

Offline Charles M

• Consul
Help with attribution please--Elagabalus??
« on: March 09, 2019, 05:36:30 pm »
I could use some help with this coin.  I believe it's Elagabalus.  My photos are not good.  I have not yet perfected taking photos of vry dark coins such as this one.  My reading of the obverse legend is based on looking under magnification at various angles.  I can read none of the reverse legend.

OBV:  AVP MA ? ANT- :Greek_Omega:NINOCC.  laureate draped and  cuirassed bust right, seen from rear
REV:  Male ?) figure wearing short chiton, right hand resting on scepter, uncertain object in left hand,  all within laurel wreath

25 mm, 14.50 grams (very thick flan)

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
Re: Help with attribution please--Elagabalus??
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2019, 05:48:58 pm »
Difficult. From the portrait Elagabal is possible. But Severus Alexander too. The rev. look like Herakles with club and lion's skin.

Best regards

All coins are guaranteed for eternity