Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Socketed spear head, but with square socket  (Read 902 times)

Offline Steven H

• Praetorian
Socketed spear head, but with square socket
« on: March 09, 2019, 09:17:59 am »
I've seen a bunch of socketed spear (?) heads, but always with a round socket, and never with a square socket. Does a square socket signify anything as far as being able to date such an artifact? In other words, were sockets round up to a certain point in time, and then square sockets began to be used?

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: Socketed spear head, but with square socket
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2019, 10:51:15 am »
The problem is that the spear was such a common item from furthest antiquity until the 19th century that there are no hard and fast rules unless you already know the general culture and date range.

Do you have more info - full length photo, dimensions, etc.?

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Steven H

• Praetorian
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2019, 12:15:10 pm »
The problem is that the spear was such a common item from furthest antiquity until the 19th century that there are no hard and fast rules unless you already know the general culture and date range.

Do you have more info - full length photo, dimensions, etc.?

SC

It's just over 16" x almost 2" (410 x 50 mm), and weighs 1.6 pounds (742 grams). It's on a sale listing and I don't think I'm allowed to say where or by whom, but I can add five of the pictures from the listing:

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2019, 10:11:57 am »
I have seen square sockets on very late (18th-19th century) cavalry lances.  But this is clearly much older.

No real idea I am afraid.  I think blade shape will be a better indicator of age.

Still waiting for the ideal spearhead reference.....

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Steven H

• Praetorian
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2019, 12:12:30 pm »
Okay, thanks for giving it a look!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity