Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: elagabalus  (Read 1215 times)

Offline AlfaOmega

• Consul
elagabalus
« on: February 26, 2019, 11:10:35 am »
This coin ae 25, not finding it in the book of the McAlee, I searched the internet and I'm stuck in a CNG auction where there is a similar coin, not attributed to the city of Anrtioch in Syria.
The coin is from Elagablus.
I think I have understood in my poor English, that the McAlee this typology has not included it in his book because he did not consider it an office of this city or is a false coeval.
It was instead recorded for Antioch by the Prieur at number 278.
I kindly ask your opinion that my currency is equal to that of the link, or what kind of classification it might have.
Greeting and thank you. Roberto

Online Pekka K

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...
Re: elagabalus
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2019, 12:18:23 pm »

Offline AlfaOmega

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2019, 12:52:46 pm »
the city could be fine, but the coin posted in the link seems to me not the same.
mine the bust definitely raked and graduated, that of the link seems to me only a graduate. thank you
The Prieur 1735 of the link to Laodicea on the reverse seems to me to end MHD, this is the TOc to.

It could be that the link reference is wrong.
Grazie ancora
Roberto

Online Pekka K

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2019, 01:14:44 pm »

Please pay attention to the position of letters  :Greek_epsilon: and  :Greek_Delta:
beside the eagle's head.

Pekka K

Offline shanxi

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2019, 01:50:51 pm »
Prieur 1735B, with the inverted N on the obverse, is a obverse die match with your coin, Δ and E misengraved and reversed like on your example. The retrograde reverse legend of 1735B ends on MHΔ. Nevertheless the obverse die match makes the attribution to this group definite.

Offline AlfaOmega

• Consul
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2019, 02:50:31 pm »
Ok thank you for the interventions I will classify Laodicea to Mare Prieur 1735.
Roberto

All coins are guaranteed for eternity