Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Help  (Read 938 times)

Offline AlfaOmega

• Consul
Help
« on: February 17, 2019, 04:40:38 pm »

Swap to Italian
It should be Caracalla and (I think) of Nicaea of ​​Bithynia. Al D a youthful portrait (and a little thin, it does not seem so much he ...) on the right; reads: ΑΥΤ Κ ΜΑΥΡΗΛ ... ΑΥΓ. To the rov., A figured figure (I think masculine, but with some doubt) turned left, with patera and scepter. The inscription seems to me: TETANKAICA .... (N) IKAIEIC. This last term leads me to Nicea; all Caracalla coins actually report NIKAIEΩΝ or ΝΙΚΑΙΩΝ, but in different previous coins, when the case is not plural genitive but dative, I found NIKAIEIC. find it anywhere.
It could also be an Antioch.
I kindly ask for help in identifying it.
I thank and greet Roberto

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Help
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2019, 05:49:38 pm »
Caracalla and Nicaea are correct, RG 491, citing a single specimen in a private collection in Budapest, pl. LXXIX.31, same dies as yours.

The rev. type is very interesting, ΓETAN KAICAPA NIKAIEIS, The Nicaeans (honor) Geta Caesar.

Other, apparently contemporaneous, Severan coins of Nicaea celebrate the city's holding of Severan Games of Brotherly Love, apparently the reason they were honoring Geta, as your coin states.
Curtis Clay

Offline AlfaOmega

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2019, 01:45:28 am »
Grazie

Offline Gianfranco P

• Auxiliary
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2019, 02:36:48 pm »
I thanks very much my friend Alfaomega,who posted my coin, and Curtisclay, who has so kindly and speedy answered. If I have good understood, that is an "honour-emission", does'nt it?

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2019, 04:01:08 pm »
There are indeed other provincial coins that combine a city's name in the nominative case with the name of an emperor or a god in the accusative case, implying that the city had honored the named emperor or god, perhaps by erecting a statue of him or her. I'm not sure I have ever heard of such coins being classified as "honour-emissions", however.

Your Nicaean "honor coin" is interesting because it can be shown to be contemporary with the coins commemorating Nicaea's holding of "Severan Games of Brotherly Love". The brothers in question were of course Caracalla and Geta, recently elevated (in 198 AD) to the positions of Augustus and Caesar respectively.
Curtis Clay

Offline AlfaOmega

• Consul
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2019, 11:05:50 am »
grazie

All coins are guaranteed for eternity