Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Billon, India, 800 C.E.?  (Read 1661 times)

Offline Robby R

• Praetorian
Billon, India, 800 C.E.?
« on: January 29, 2019, 09:02:24 pm »
I'm not quite sure how to describe it beyond what the holder says. So, are these things commonly reproduced? I assume it's debased silver but have never opened it up.

Thank you, and have a great day.
Robby Raccoon Against the World.

Offline Finn235

• Praetorian
Re: Billon, India, 800 C.E.?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2019, 10:31:36 am »
It's a Bull and Horseman jital, made by many kingdoms for many centuries before, during, and a little after the Islamic conquest of most of India. The only dedicated resource is "Jitals" by Robert Tye; he has made the plates free to download for easy reference.

I don't see enough of a legend to allow an attribution beyond "late anonymous type". Not sure of silver purity, but genuine examples are worth only a couple dollars, so I don't doubt its authenticity. They are very common coins!

Here is the prototype:

All coins are guaranteed for eternity