Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Assistance with Malloy Catalog re the St. George Tucker Collection  (Read 1137 times)

Offline Stkp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
I recently aquired a medieval Hungarian denar issued by Venzel/Wenceslaus Premyslid (1301-1305):
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-152593

The information on the dealer's flip indicates that, three dealers ago, the coin was lot 972 in Alex J. Malloy's March [?] 1984 catalog, from the St. George Tucker Collection. I have done internet research on St. George Tucker, and found the following biographical paragraph for Henry St. George Tucker (1853 - 1932) on the website of the United States' Congress:

TUCKER, Henry St. George, (son of John Randolph Tucker and grandson of Henry St. George Tucker [1780-1848]), a Representative from Virginia; born in Winchester, Frederick County, Va., April 5, 1853; attended private schools in Richmond and Middleburg, Va.; was graduated from the law department of Washington and Lee University, Lexington, Va., in 1876; was admitted to the bar the same year and commenced practice in Staunton, Va.; elected as a Democrat to the Fifty-first and to the three succeeding Congresses (March 4, 1889-March 3, 1897); was not a candidate for renomination in 1896; elected professor of constitutional law and equity in Washington and Lee University in 1897; dean of the law school of the same university in 1900, and dean of the school of law and diplomacy in George Washington University, Washington, D.C., in 1905; president of the Jamestown Exposition Co., 1905-1907; president of the American Bar Association in 1905; unsuccessful Democratic candidate for the nomination for Governor in 1909 and again in 1921; elected as a Democrat to the Sixty-seventh Congress to fill the vacancy caused by the death of Henry D. Flood; reelected to the Sixty-eighth and to the four succeeding Congresses and served from March 21, 1922, until his death in Lexington, Va., July 23, 1932; chair, Committee on Election of the President, Vice President, and Members in Congress (53rd Congress); interment in the Presbyterian Cemetery.

http://bioguide.congress.gov/scripts/biodisplay.pl?index=T000399i

I am having difficulty in locating an accessible copy of the Malloy catalog. My hope is that the catalog will identify the collector referenced on the flip, so that I can confirm the provenance of the coin as being from the collection of THIS Henry St. George Tucker, or perhaps that of a descendant or other relative. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Stkp

Offline Jordan Montgomery

• Consul
    • Gallery of my Roman Republican coin collection
Re: Assistance with Malloy Catalog re the St. George Tucker Collection
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2019, 11:22:08 pm »
You can find a scan of that particular Malloy catalog here at the Newman Numismatic Portal. I didn't look too hard but lot 972 does have a Hungarian coin so I suspect it's yours but I didn't see anything about the provenance you mentioned, perhaps that was from an earlier auction?
Gallery of my collection with notes and discussion of Republican history and numismatics

Offline Stkp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2019, 11:54:21 am »
Jordan,

Thank you for your assistance. Catalog Lot 972 is a match to my coin (although the plate photos of the coins in the Malloy catalogs, and as depicted on the Newman Portal, leave a lot to be desired). While the catalog makes no mention of the provenance of the coin (although it mentions of the provenance of a number of other coins within the catalog from unrelated collections), the information on the dealer's flip is a precise match to this catalog -- including the estimated value of the coin stated in the catalog. I am satisfied from the information on the flip that, at one time, the coin was in a St. George Tucker Collection.

That being said, I cannot conclude that the St. George Tucker Collection is connected in any way to Congressman Henry St. George Tucker, who died in 1933, or even to a member of his family. For example, I have discovered that composer Lorraine ("Tui") St. George Tucker, who was apparently not related to the congressman, died in 2004. I have little doubt that there have been other people of less prominence than Henry and Tui bearing that compound surname.

Stkp

Offline Stkp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2019, 12:04:50 pm »
P.S. I have updated my description of the coin in my gallery to include the full provenance, with mention to Jordan for his assistance.
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-152593
Stkp

All coins are guaranteed for eternity