Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Claudius, Antioch mint - is it fake or authentic coin?  (Read 448 times)

Offline Mateusz S

• Legionary
Claudius, Antioch mint - is it fake or authentic coin?
« on: January 19, 2019, 10:35:00 am »
Claudius AE25 of Antioch, Syria. 13.9gr.
obv: AV GERM TI CLA CAE, laureate head right.
rev: SC within wreath.
RPC 4280.

Offline okidoki

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=37270
Re: Claudius, Antioch mint - is it fake or authentic coin?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2019, 10:41:35 am »
looks very authentic, why do you doubt it?
All the Best,
Eric
There are no strangers, only friends you do not know yet.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=37270

Offline Mateusz S

• Legionary
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2019, 11:08:18 am »

I recently bought coins from a seller known as the ancientground (he's on NFSL list): bronze late Rome coins (Honorius), some provincial (Diadumenian etc.) and same cheap Bizantine stuff (Justin I) BUT since I checked that he is on that fraud list I am afraid of every, single new seller.  :-\ These Claudius and Nero coins came from a seller who is not on this list (not yet?), but I just feel that i've got some psychosis to whom I should believe (especially that the seller is also from Cyprus - just like Ancientground). ;)

Thanks a lot!

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2019, 11:12:44 am »
This coin looks genuine, but it is not possible to authenticate it from the photo.  Fakes (especially coins cast from genuine coins) can look genuine in photos (and can even be hard to detect in hand).

Either know the coin or know the seller.  If you do not know enough about the coin to be confident it is authentic and you do not know enough about the seller to know they are reputable and expert, then DO NOT BUY. 

Maybe, shop at FORVM?
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

All coins are guaranteed for eternity