Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Calabria Owl-4 sale-same seller-2 different places-2 different NGC slab numbers  (Read 584 times)

Offline Dino

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Quaestor
  • Caesar
  • Anyone have change for a hemidrachm?
    • My Gallery
So I saw this Little owl for sale by the same seller, one on an auction site, the other on his personal site.  Clearly the same coin.  On his site it is advertised as out of the slab with the NGC tag.  On the auction site, it is in a slab with a different number...

Same coin just reslabbed or are these duplicates and therefore fake (at least one anyway?)

Have emailed seller asking for an explanation.

Offline SRukke

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Go ahead, make my day.
    • My gallery. Started January 2009
I would guess a re-slab. I cracked a case on an NGC coin and later regretted it and thought about re-slabbing it. I checked both numbers and they're legit with the exact same wording and grading from NGC.

Offline Dino

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Quaestor
  • Caesar
    • My Gallery
Received a response.  Looks like it is just one coin.  Here's the response:

Hello,
it is indeed the same coin. I bought it a few years ago with  the tag from the cracked NGC slab. Some collectors and dealers prefer freed the coin from a slab. I personally like NGC Certification, because, it is accurate and gives to many of my actual and potential buyers third party's  an excellent and profound educated opinion. This is why, I slabbed it again.
Hope, I gave you a satisfactory answer :-)

Offline Dino

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Quaestor
  • Caesar
    • My Gallery
I would guess a re-slab.

That's what I was hoping.  I just thought it was strange that the coin is no sale on two different sites in the two different formats.

Offline JBF

• Caesar
I think dealers can have multiple outlets, plus they don't always maintain everything up to date.  Some dealers will sell a coin a show, that is listed elsewhere.  everything is subject to previous sale.  Or in other words, a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush, for both the dealer that is earning his living with it, and also the collector waiting for a coin.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity