Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Suspicion on artificial patina?  (Read 429 times)

Offline CL

• Praetorian
Suspicion on artificial patina?
« on: January 16, 2019, 02:24:05 pm »
Is there a possibility that this coin might have been artificial patinated? I see quite some corrosion under the surface, and bronze coins from Sicily are quite often modified to hide corrosion and BD. Also, the patina look quite homogeneous to me, almost no variety in color, all straight up black.

Your opinions are appreciated.

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Re: Suspicion on artificial patina?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2019, 04:00:28 pm »
To me, it looks like an artificial patina--uniform even over the rough patch on the bull's rump.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity