Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: I need some help with what could be a very well preserved greek coin  (Read 927 times)

Chasse C

I got given a Jar of old coins most of them were pretty common even though they were old, some were 92.5% pure silver early Brit coins, there were also coins from Palestine in 1927 and the oldest one ( and i'm working from memory because I have looked at 100's of coins tonight ) was a Napolian III Franc dating back to 1827.

But then at the bottom of this jar of coins coated in some sort of oil - I know not what type is this incredibly oddly shaped - incredibly old looking Greek coin, all that I know is that before they came to me four generations of the same family had been putting coins in this jar.

Can someone please tell me is this real? How do I tell? How much is it worth?

The little bit of research I've done and I am by no means anything near an expert suggests this could date back to 125AD.

Offline shanxi

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My gallery

Chasse C

Re: I need some help with what could be a very well preserved greek coin
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2019, 08:18:57 am »
Imitation of a new style tetradrachm from Athens. Listed in the Fake Reports

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/fakes/displayimage.php?pos=-17145

Similar authentic example:

https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=918329

Thanks for that, I just weighed it as well my scales only do grams but it was 11gms, I will still get it tested for silver content by a local dealer just on the off chance, I don't know in what period these fake versions were reproduced but to have found it at the bottom of a jar of coins which got older toward the bottom with the next oldest coin being 192 years old - i want to be careful - it probably is a fake as you say but if there is just one in a billion chance that this is real it's probably worth getting it checked.

Unless of course you are 111% certain it's a fake in which case ill just cut into it and see if the core is copper.

Chasse C

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2019, 08:31:46 am »
I can tell you that under the metal surface as I have examined the far right outer edge and ground a little tiny piece off that it is still silver.

Offline shanxi

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2019, 08:56:27 am »
Flan shape and decentering of your coin and of the example from the "Fake Reports" is identical. This shows that both coins were  cast from the the same casting mould. Athenian Tetradrachms were struck.

The weight of 11g is much too low for an Athenian tetradrachm which should have a weight above 16g.

Offline Arados

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2019, 10:00:50 am »
Just a quick glance of your coins details tellĀ“s me that it is a fake, this i am 100% sure of.

It is also a match with the coin in fake reports as shanxi pointed out.

Arados

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2019, 10:45:37 am »
The style and the fabric are very wrong. It is certainly fake (100% certain) and not one that would fool a dealer or experienced collector.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline areich

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2019, 02:33:08 pm »
And by fake, we mean a modern fake, not an ancient (or very old) forgery. I personally would not even call it fake but a reproduction. Fake, to me, implies that it was made with the intention to deceive. I think this was never intended to be confused with a genuine coin, even though it is not marked as a replica.
Andreas Reich

All coins are guaranteed for eternity