Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Claudius II?  (Read 273 times)

Offline the10thlegion

• Consul
Claudius II?
« on: January 12, 2019, 10:31:20 pm »
One of my kids received this in the local Coins for As Program. My best guess is Claudius II. Anyone have any better guesses? Or a more precise attribution?
Thanks

Offline AMICTUS

• Consul
Re: Claudius II?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2019, 02:52:22 am »
 Obverse portrait could also point to GALLIENVS.

Offline Harry G

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2019, 12:40:20 pm »
I agree with AMICTUS; it is definitely an Antoninianus of Gallienus. I can see on the reverse that it reads '...ITAS...', which could be part of 'AEQUITAS AVG'; Aequitas, draped, standing left, holding scales in right hand and cornucopiae in left hand. Here is a link to what could be your coin.

http://numismatics.org/ocre/id/ric.5.gall(2).159cB

I hope this helps!
Harry
Please check out my gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=6793

Have a nice day!

Offline AMICTUS

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2019, 01:36:02 pm »
As far as the reverse is concerned AEQVITAS could fit. However as the arm of the figure seems to be raised AETERNITAS AVG  Sol standing left and raising arm could also fit well. In that case it is an antoninianus of Rome from the 3d officina, 5th issue (about 266).

All coins are guaranteed for eternity