Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: New 6th-7th Century Byzantine Seal Cruciform Monogram - Athanasios  (Read 1170 times)

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
I acquired a nice 6th-7th Byzantine seal which measures 18.85 mm x 20.03 mm and weighs 9.71 g.  On the obverse is a bust of the Theotokos facing, holding the infant Christ; crosses flanking.  On the reverse, there is a cruciform monogram with Alpha  :A3: on the bottom; Theta   :Greek_Theta: on the left; omnicron   :Greek_Omicron: on top and a ligature of Nu and Sigma on the right  :Greek_Nu:  :GreeK_Sigma: (C).   I am trying to learn how to use Robert Freind's lexicon in Byzantinische Monogramme und Eigennamen to identify it with some difficulty.. Have I detected all the Greek letters present and is my dating correct?   Pogh_poor
All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
Yes, that's mostly correct. But you forgot the V on top of the O. Usually this ligature OV is on top, and many times it is the genitive ending of the name (ie Theodorou, Sergiou etc.). Also, the I, if present in the name, is usually implied, so you should always add it as a possibility. Sometimes, a lambda is implied with the alpha. Have fun trying to find it, but keep in mind that Feind does not offer a complete list!
Regards
Gert

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Could it be Αθανασίου / Athanasios?  7th Century? Pogh_poor
All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
Yes, spot on. Athanasios (in the form of the genitive AQANACIOV) is a solid solution of this monogram. 7th century is also pretty certain for this type of monogram seal. 2nd half 6th is also possible. At the end of the 7th century, into the 8th, a dative becomes the norm for the inscription (so AQANACIW)
Regards
Gert

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Re: New 6th-7th Century Byzantine Seal Cruciform Monogram - Athanasios
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2019, 05:33:20 am »
Thank you for your help Gert.  It is easier when the monogram is clear like this one! 
Pogh-poor

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2019, 05:39:47 am »
Yes, it is. In fact, when the monogram is unclear or incomplete, often it is not only difficult, but impossible to read it.
Regards
Gert

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2019, 07:47:10 am »
I think that I have found the exact seal in the Dumbarton Oaks Collection - BZS.1958.106.1800.

OBVERSE
Bust of the Virgin with medallion between two short crosses. Thin wreath border.

REVERSE
Cruciform monogram. Wreath border.

α - θ - ι - ν - ο - σ - υ

Ἀθανασίου

Ἀθανασίου.

(Seal of) Athanasios

What do you think?  Pogh_poor

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2019, 02:53:54 am »
Yes, that seems to be it. It is hard, however, to be 100% sure when it is not the exact same boulloterion. If you look at the DO site, you'll find more seals with an Athanasios-monogram in a distinctly different style.
Regards
Gert

All coins are guaranteed for eternity