Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Marcianopolis mint management during Severan era - question  (Read 833 times)

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
Marcianopolis mint management during Severan era - question
« on: January 11, 2019, 07:50:14 am »
While researching a Severan era Pentassarion of Marcianopolis, I came accross four (4) obverse die matches, each with completely different reverse TYPES.  The coins all appear genuine.  This begs the question of how reverse dies were managed in the Marcianopolis mint.  Did this mint use a "die box" method (reverse dies randomly assigned at each shift) or tandem striking teams punching different reverses on the same anvil die?   I know that obverse die links have supported tandem striking theory for Roman Imperial mints.  In this case, I was surprised by the high number (4) of different reverses involved. I'm not a provincial collector, so apologies in advance if this is a generally known phenomenon.

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
Re: Marcianopolis mint management during Severan era - question
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2019, 09:52:26 am »
Bump.  No thoughts on whether 4 different reverse types linked to the same obverse die is typical on Marcianopolis coins of Severan era?

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2019, 11:55:56 am »
Dear Carausius!

I know this phenomenon from Nikopolis too. Affected are all Emperors which have issued coins. From Elagabal I know obverses with 5 or 6 different reverses.

Jochn

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2019, 12:19:36 pm »
Thank you for that confirmation, Jochen!  It is interesting to theorize on the manner in which so many reverse types were used with the same obverse die.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity