Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Caracalla AE26 Tyre in BMC 26?  (Read 893 times)

Offline Constantine IV

• Caesar
  • Constantine IV
Caracalla AE26 Tyre in BMC 26?
« on: January 05, 2019, 07:13:09 pm »
Hello and a happy new year to you all.

I would like to know if this coin is recorded in the British Museum Catalogue volume 26 (Phoenicia).

I bought it in a lot of others last year from a well known coin auction house based in west London, United Kingdom.
Clearly the bust is of Caracalla. Other coins in the lot came from the Greek Imperial mints of Syria and Arabia.
What lettering remains on the reverse begins with "SEP...." From what I know when coins from a Greek city start using Latin it was when they became a Roman colony. Looking through my copy of Sear's Greek Imperial Coins for Caracalla I came across an AE example from the mint of Tyre that had the reverse legend "SEP TVRVS METRO COLONI". I looked on the Roman Provincial Coinage website for examples from Tyre. Some did have a "Temple shown in three-quarter aspect" on the reverse but were for later persons, such as Volusian.
But clearly this is a known type for Tyre.
There were no matches that I could find on the Roman Provincial Coinage website for this Caracalla coin of Tyre, nor could I find on other online websites.
These are the details of the coin:
Obverse: IMP M AVR - ANTONINVS, laureate bust right.
Reverse: SEP TVRVS METRO COLONI, hexastyle temple, in three-quarter aspect. Palm branch and murex shell in exergue.
Coin: AE26, Mint: Tyre, Phoenicia, Diametre: 26.2 mm, Weight: 12.09g

Thank you
"He who gives himself airs of importance, exhibits the credentials of impotence". ~ Decimus Laberius, 46 BCE

Offline shanxi

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
Re: Caracalla AE26 Tyre in BMC 26?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2019, 02:18:24 am »

I would like to know if this coin is recorded in the British Museum Catalogue volume 26 (Phoenicia)

It's online on areichs page:

http://www.ancientgreekandromancoins.com/bmc/phoenicia/BMC_Phoenicia_index.html

very comfortable to work with

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2019, 02:19:48 am »
It seems to be this type: https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=3297111

it is referenced with BMC 376: https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=mdp.39015005169761;view=1up;seq=431;size=150
(this link perhaps does not work outside the US).

Regards

Altamura

Offline shanxi

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2019, 02:43:57 am »

Offline Constantine IV

• Caesar
  • Constantine IV
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2019, 06:20:23 pm »
Thank you so much  :wreath2:Ralf and Altamura! :<a href='../numiswiki/view.asp?key=wreath' target='_blank'>wreath</a>2:  +++
I will bookmark those websites for future use.
Best wishes,
Masis
"He who gives himself airs of importance, exhibits the credentials of impotence". ~ Decimus Laberius, 46 BCE

All coins are guaranteed for eternity