Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Touchstone Use On Ancient Gold Coins?  (Read 915 times)

Offline Kevin D

• Consul
Touchstone Use On Ancient Gold Coins?
« on: December 28, 2018, 01:42:59 pm »
Has anyone seen what they thought might be a touchstone mark on the edge of an ancient gold coin? (I realize that a touchstone mark might be hard to discern from a randomly occurring mark). If yes, can you describe the coin and mark?

Any info on literature that discusses this, or mentions use of a touchstone on coins in ancient times, will be appreciated.

Offline JBF

• Caesar
Re: Touchstone Use On Ancient Gold Coins?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2018, 06:36:37 pm »
Plato refers to a touchstone, I forget the context but for the best people they have a soul of gold, so to speak.  So he might use it as an analogy, or perhaps for gold a touchstone works, but for a golden soul, there is nothing comparable??  Get a collection of Plato's dialogues, (and one of Aristotle too, while you are at it, (from Library), and look it up in the index.  I would look it up in mine, but I am not going to be home for awhile.  There may be in other philosophers the use of the same analogy, I don't know.  Maybe also, Church Fathers.

Offline Dino

• Procurator Caesaris
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
  • Anyone have change for a hemidrachm?
    • My Gallery
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2018, 09:53:46 am »
JBF, I think Kevin is talking about a different type of touchstone.  One used to test gold content.

"A touchstone is a small tablet of dark stone such as fieldstone, slate, or lydite, used for assaying precious metal alloys. It has a finely grained surface on which soft metals leave a visible trace."

Kevin, I have not.

Offline Kevin D

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2018, 04:30:52 pm »
Thanks to both of you for your input.

I believe I've read that the use of acid with the touchstone is a 'newer' development, and that originally it was simply a color comparison with other samples of known purity.

I found this and feel it is well worth passing along:
Assaying in Antiquity by Andrew Oddy
https://core.ac.uk/download/pdf/81204356.pdf

Offline JBF

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2018, 06:48:32 pm »
Actually Plato refers to "the gold (the metal) detecting" touchstone, I think (but could be wrong) that he might be talking about it metaphorically, but not _just_ metaphorically.  'Wouldn't it be great if we had something that could detect gold souls, just like we have a touchstone that detects gold.'  Something like that.  I don't remember, but there is at least one reference to "the gold (metal) detecting" touchstone.  a gold touchstone is a popular metaphor for ancient philosophers.

Whether a cultural use of the item in an ancient dialogue is what you're looking for is another question.  I would also look at Pliny the Elder in his Natural History.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity