Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Miliaresion of Leo III./LEO IV.  (Read 808 times)

Offline Boris P

• Legionary
Miliaresion of Leo III./LEO IV.
« on: December 27, 2018, 02:22:58 pm »
Few months ago I have purchased the Miliaresion of LEO III. SBCV 1512. This miliaresion is very similar to LEO IV. miliaresion SBCV 1585 and can be distinguished by the shape of the cross potent. After reading some instructions I have now suspicion, that this coin was incorrectly identified and in fact it is LEO IV. miliaresion. What you think?

Offline Simon

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Tetartera Collector
    • Byzantine Tetartera
Re: Miliaresion of Leo III./LEO IV.
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2018, 04:44:08 pm »
Not normally my time period but I looked at different examples of the two, the differences seem to be subtle but I would think Leo IV.
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5633 My main collection of Tetartera. Post reform coinage.

Offline joma-tk

• Caesar
Re: Miliaresion of Leo III./LEO IV.
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2018, 01:44:01 pm »
Leo III (Sear 1512) has a dot on reverse as seen below.
So your coin is Leo IV (Sear 1585)

tk

All coins are guaranteed for eternity