Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Should I clean? Severus Alexander Denarius  (Read 2970 times)

Offline paps

• Consul
  • gerryn2001
Should I clean? Severus Alexander Denarius
« on: December 24, 2018, 09:59:01 am »
Hello everyone. I haven't cleaned this since purchased. However, I would like to to remove the green verdigris. I'm guessing the brownish color is tarnish since the entire coin is not toned in the same color, so if that is removed as well. I guess that would be ok.

Thanks

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
Re: Should I clean? Severus Alexander Denarius
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2018, 11:55:19 am »
Personal opinion:

If the green can be safely removed, fine.

But I would not touch the toning.  If you remove that you'll be left with an obviously cleaned bright and shiny denarius....a coin with no character.

Online Dominic T

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2018, 12:23:02 pm »
I used to clean green spots on few denarius of mine. A little bath of ammonia did the job without altering the toning. But I do not guarantee any result and this post will autodestruct in 30 seconds.....
DT

Offline stevex6

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2018, 01:21:52 pm »
I wouldn't clean it .... ummm, I'd actually pray that the toning continues and envelopes the entire coin

Offline paps

• Consul
  • gerryn2001
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2018, 01:49:24 pm »
I like the toning as well - it brings out the details of the coin. But am not liking the green,  Do you scrub after an Ammonia bath?

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2018, 08:51:41 am »
Personally I wouldn't touch it.  I am a physical cleaner and this stuff does not come off with physical methods.  There may be chemical methods - ammonia, lemon juice, etc. but I don't know enough about them to recommend anything.

It looks nice as it is.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline paps

• Consul
  • gerryn2001
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2018, 09:01:54 am »
Personally I wouldn't touch it. 
Before I do anything, I would need to know unequivocally that any method I choose wouldn't harm the coin. A shiny specimen is in that category as well.

Offline v-drome

• Caesar
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2018, 12:43:35 pm »
Hi Paps.  I also would be very hesitant to clean.  I think I can see a copper colored spot at 5h on the reverse.  Could this be an ancient plated coin (fouree)?

Regards, V-drome

Offline Jschulze

• Caesar
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2018, 01:20:20 pm »
I would also not clean it. Nothing is obscured so you have everything to loose if something goes wrong but really nothing to gain. Plus it took 1800-ish years to look that way, why have it loose that personality!

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2018, 09:12:24 am »
That's the thing with chemical cleaning - and why I don't really do it.  With mechanical cleaning you can exercise a lot of control.  Pick a small area, control the pressure, etc.  With chemicals it tends to be all or nothing and you can never be absolutely certain of the result as the chemical composition of each coin, or part of a coin varies.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline B-Chicago

• Praetorian
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2018, 10:20:34 pm »
I would clean it - soak for long periods in distilled water then short baths in lemon juice - during the long soaks the red will slowly break down and it disolves in lemon juice - it may take a half dozen rounds of this over a year or so. remember to clean the container you are soaking it in each time you swap the water out and dpon't go too long in the lemon juice as those are typically lower content silver.

rinse no scrubbing

or

you could keep it as is

best of luck

Offline paps

• Consul
  • gerryn2001
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2018, 08:47:13 pm »
B-Chicago, I am assuming that would take away that green as well. I'll sit on this for awhile.

Thanks

All coins are guaranteed for eternity