Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: New Hadrian sestertius  (Read 775 times)

Offline Diederik

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem, vita brevis est!
New Hadrian sestertius
« on: December 11, 2018, 06:23:01 am »
My basic collection, started over forty years ago, consisted of every denomination of every emperor. I have not actively pursued this idea, as I have meanwhile redirected my attention to the coinage of Pius and to the mint of Arles from its beginnings to Constantine's death. The old collection is therefore dormant. Yet, I recently bought at auction, a very nice Hadrian sestertius which is so nice, that it is going to replace the left facing Fortuna Redux, which is currently for sale at the members'auctions.https://www.forumancientcoins.com/Auction/APViewItem.asp?ID=72078
The new one: IMP CAESAR TRAIANVS HADRIANVS AVG P M TR P COS III PP, his laureate draped bust right./ MONETA - AVGVSTI  S - C  Moneta standing left, holding scales and cornucopiae. RIC 586.
Hope you like it too.

Frans

Offline okidoki

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=37270
Re: New Hadrian sestertius
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2018, 12:43:17 pm »
Dear coin friend,

a very nice sestertius congrats

no P P at Obverse
IMP CAESAR TRAIANVS HADRIANVS AVG P M TR P COS III
All the Best,
Eric
There are no strangers, only friends you do not know yet.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=37270

Offline Diederik

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2018, 01:35:04 pm »
Thank you Eric; no PP indeed!

Frans

Offline FlaviusDomitianus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My gallery:
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2018, 02:12:50 pm »
Very nice sestertius!

I'm used to see MONETA on Domitian As.

Alberto

Offline okidoki

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=37270
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2018, 02:17:51 pm »
All the Best,
Eric
There are no strangers, only friends you do not know yet.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=37270

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2018, 08:37:52 pm »
Beautiful portrait!!

Why is the legend on the reverse so crude?  The letters are fairly clunky and several of the letters lean to the left. 

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Diederik

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2018, 06:55:09 am »
That's what struck me too, but it is a common phenomenon apparently.

Frans

Offline singig

• Praetorian
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2019, 10:56:16 am »
Hello, very nice sestertius
I bought the same type RIC 586 in December:

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2019, 02:15:05 pm »
Moneta holds her cornucopia either with its tip turned towards her body (Singig's coin) or with its tip turned away from her body (Frans' coin).

Unfortunately this difference is not pointed out in the standard catalogues, Cohen, Strack, RIC or BMC. Schmidt-Dick apparently noticed it, though without mentioning it in her text p. 78, because on her pl. 32 she illustrates side by side three Moneta bronzes with her type no. f1A/01, one with cornucopia tip turned towards Moneta's body, the other two with cornucopia tip turned away from her body.

A quick sampling of Hadrian's type in CoinArchives, from which I eliminated some but probably not all reappearances of the same coin:

Tip towards body: 7 sestertii, 3 dupondii.

Tip away from body: 6 sestertii, 1 medallion on oversize flan and omitting S C, no dupondii.

The Garonne hoard contained 54 specimens of this Moneta sestertius of Hadrian, 19 of which are illustrated, all with cornucopia tip turned towards body! Judging from the CoinArchives sample this will be a fluke, and quite a few of the unillustrated pieces will have shown the other variety, tip tuned from body. The Garonne authors would doubtless have separated the two varieties for us if only the catalogues they consulted, RIC and Strack, had pointed out the difference and given each variety its own catalogue number!
Curtis Clay

Offline Diederik

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2019, 04:25:12 pm »
Interesting observation! With some Pius sestertii the same phenomenon can be observed; I wonder if there was any special significance in doing so...

Frans

All coins are guaranteed for eternity