Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: When does it make sense to have coins slabbed?  (Read 1960 times)

Offline Tomaseus

• Legionary
When does it make sense to have coins slabbed?
« on: December 01, 2018, 04:02:08 pm »
I'm thinking of selling some coins, maybe consigning them to an auction house or some other online forum.  I collect Roman imperial and provincial, mostly Marcus Aurelius.

Some of the coins are really nice (VF to EF); some are more mediocre. A friend suggested getting any coins I want to sell graded and slabbed, but for some of them, it doesn't seem worth paying to get them graded.

Is there some rule of thumb (like a dollar value) about when it makes sense to have coins graded?  Does where I sell them make a difference?   

Offline n.igma

• Caesar
  • Life is bigger than a Tweet.
Re: When does it make sense to have coins slabbed?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2018, 05:00:11 pm »
It makes no sense unless you believe strongly that the cost involved will be recovered by a greater than equivalent uplift of the price of the coin on sale. And remember you have to see an uplift in price equivalent to the cost of slabbing/certification X (1+ commission) to break even.

For me as a collector of ancients slabbed coins are negative because the slab makes the auction image of the coin less detailed and thus more difficult to assess. Even worse is the fact that auction houses image the slab, rather than the coin, the coin frequently little more than an unresolved, out of focus speck in the center of a nicely imaged slab.

As a result, I have never bid on a slabbed coin. I am sure there are quite a few like minded collectors of ancients out there. If so, then the result is likely to be less bidding competition for a slabbed ancient, and thus a lower realized price.

All historical inquiry is contingent and provisional, and our own prejudices will in due course come under scrutiny by our successors.

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2018, 01:58:24 am »
It makes sense for the slabbing companies, but I don't see any other  ;).

Regards

Altamura

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2018, 10:41:59 am »
I would never slab.  If I was selling coins worth over $1000 each I might consider paying to having them authenticated, but not slabbed.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2018, 11:16:20 am »
Here is a good rule of Thumb: Consign them to FORVM.

The only coins we slab are coins I think are probably genuine but want a second opinion, or coins I think are probably fake but my consignor wants a second opinion. I probably send about a dozen coins a year to NGC or David Sear. Our consignment agreement is here:

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/consignment.pdf
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Tomaseus

• Legionary
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2018, 10:02:02 pm »
Thank you all for the insight; one of my hangups on the slabbing thing is that it takes a lot of the fun out of the coin- glad I’m not the only one who thinks so.

It is really the authentication that I’m interested in.  I’ve been collecting for less than five years and have < 100 coins.  During that time, I’ve managed to acquire two fakes that I know of.  Most of the coins are from the big European auction houses, but I have gotten a few from Ebay as well, and there are one or two in that batch that I’m curious about.

Buying a coin without 100% certainty of its authenticity is one thing, but selling one is a bridge too far.  They’re probably authentic, but… who knows for sure?

Cdr Sermani, thank you for the consignment agreement. I may very well take you up on it. 

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2018, 08:27:24 am »
Thank you all for the insight; one of my hangups on the slabbing thing is that it takes a lot of the fun out of the coin- glad I’m not the only one who thinks so.

It is really the authentication that I’m interested in.  I’ve been collecting for less than five years and have < 100 coins.  During that time, I’ve managed to acquire two fakes that I know of.  Most of the coins are from the big European auction houses, but I have gotten a few from Ebay as well, and there are one or two in that batch that I’m curious about.

Buying a coin without 100% certainty of its authenticity is one thing, but selling one is a bridge too far.  They’re probably authentic, but… who knows for sure?

Cdr Sermani, thank you for the consignment agreement. I may very well take you up on it. 

Thanks for using the correct title but please just call me Joe.

Whomever you consign the coins to will be responsible for authenticating them. Of course, if you sell yourself on eBay, you will be responsible, so different story.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

All coins are guaranteed for eternity