Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Does H mean Heraea/Heraia?  (Read 834 times)

Offline Paul B4

• Consul
Does H mean Heraea/Heraia?
« on: November 17, 2018, 04:00:42 pm »
BCD Peloponnesos 1369.1 var

Does the letter H to the left of Artemis' head on the reverse stand for Heraea/Heraia?  (Is not visible on my coin.)

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Re: Does H mean Heraea/Heraia?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2018, 04:34:22 pm »
I do not see any H, which in any event is the Greek long E.  In Greek the sound H is unexpressed except at the beginning of a word in a text where it is indicated by '.

Offline n.igma

• Caesar
  • Life is bigger than a Tweet.
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2018, 06:05:32 pm »
H is one of many forms of the abbreviated ethnic of the city. It is found prominently displayed on many (but not all) of the coins of the city. On other coins the ethnic is the letter E in accord with djmacdo's note on how the ancient Greek word "Heraia" was pronounced. I find the display on the reverse of the third coin below most interesting ...a small H followed by a BIG E  to right of which can be discerned a small A and small I... I think it reflects the difference in pronunciation versus the spelling. The fourth coin takes thus a step further emphasizing the E in the pronunciation. Finally to add to your confusion on some coins of Heraia the ethnic is abbreviated to EP (fifth coin below). So we have H, HE, E and EP all read as an abbreviation of Heraia.
All historical inquiry is contingent and provisional, and our own prejudices will in due course come under scrutiny by our successors.

Offline JBF

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2018, 08:00:32 pm »
In Archaic Greek, one has a consonantal 'H'.  This in the Classical era becomes the vowel long e.  Of course, the division between the Archaic period, and the Classical (or Hellenic) period is not hard and fast.  Some cities use Archaic letters long after the Archaic period.  The  :Greek_Koppa: of Corinth for example, or the  :Greek_Digamma: of Elis.

Offline Paul B4

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2018, 08:18:18 pm »
Thank you all for the information and explanation. 
It's the coin details like this that I enjoy (almost as much as owning the coin).

All coins are guaranteed for eternity