Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: diosesdelolimpo  (Read 887 times)

Offline Germania Magna

• Praetorian
diosesdelolimpo
« on: November 16, 2018, 06:06:58 pm »
Have a look at that seller`s coins on ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/usr/diosesdelolimpo?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

All fake coins, most of the denarius coins he is offering, at least those starting at a low price.

Astounded that he didn`t receive an negative evaluations on ebay so far.

The fakes offered evince some craftsmanship, so much more it is essential to out this seller as a fake seller, in my view.

Offline Lee S

• Comitia Curiata
  • Conservator
  • Caesar
  • γεια μας !!!
Re: diosesdelolimpo
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2018, 10:00:49 am »
An offering of sver coins spanning several hundred years, all in excellent condition, and all bearing exactly the same toning... What could possibly be suspicious ???

I nominate the seller for the NFSL....

Offline Germania Magna

• Praetorian
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2018, 05:03:23 pm »
I will put some of his coins on this board for closer observation and discussion and later add them to this board`s fake reports - once I`ve got more time available to do so, probably in December. 

The Greek ones are apparently more misleading, being forged with less suspicious signs of their being counterfeits. I am not an expert on Greek coins, anyway. Nonetheless, they also bear signs of forgeries which can and will become apparent if examined more thoroughly and intensely.

As far as the denarius coins are concerned, however, my verdict is harsh and unambiguous without hesitation: bloody fakes (the ones starting at a low price, at least). 

Offline Dominic T

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2018, 05:56:26 pm »
The Denarius of Hadrian seems very similar to the Ric 127 in the Fake Coin Report...
DT

Offline okidoki

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=37270
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2018, 06:26:25 pm »
all fakes

diosesdelolimpo      12-feb-18      Huidig
belyerac      02-sep-12      12-feb-18
prometeo_2005      04-mei-12      02-sep-12
spanish_coin      26-feb-12      04-mei-12
prometeo_2005      05-okt-11      26-feb-12
senatus_consultum_2005      25-sep-10      05-okt-11
big-apolo      10-aug-10      25-sep-10
p*********5      15-aug-05      10-aug-10
All the Best,
Eric
There are no strangers, only friends you do not know yet.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=37270

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2018, 08:51:08 pm »
diosesdelolimpo added to the NFSL. Fake coin reports for any new types please.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Dominic T

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2018, 10:05:00 pm »
Fake coin report added for the Hadrian.
DT

Offline Germania Magna

• Praetorian
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2018, 06:47:05 am »
Here the evidence that this coin supposed to be by Q. Fabius Maximus (Crawford 265/1) is a fake:

Encircled in red: cast pits.

What is striking is the obverse: It bears no significant evidence of this coin being a cast at first sight, which makes this fake quite dangerous in my eyes.

Encircled in green: smut resembling patina, suggesting ancient origin.

It becomes evident that the forger used an almost perfect model to make his cast, making it very attractive at first sight, apart from the scratches and copied "signs of usage" suggesting authenticity.

Offline Germania Magna

• Praetorian
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2018, 07:06:48 am »
This coin offered by the same seller is a copy, too.

It is supposed to be by P. Maenius Antiaticus, Crawford 249/1.

I marked the pit holes. Again, the obverse bears no unambiguous traces of forgery.

It is only the reverse which allows us to pass our deplorable verdict.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2018, 10:51:12 am »
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Germania Magna

• Praetorian
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2018, 04:44:27 pm »
I have saved the pics.  ;D  They will be added to the shameful reports in December.    :Chi-Rho_reversed: aramaic_kaf  :crescentstar:

Offline Germania Magna

• Praetorian
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2019, 08:43:18 am »
diosesdelolimpo is active again.
He is now offering under dharmacoins .

Fed up a with this callousness, I will add some of his fakeware to the forum`s fake gallery as soon as possible.

Apparently addressing dollar paying audience.

Of better quality the one in the attachment, but hands off, all fakes.    

As it seems, only the somewhat soft contours on the reverse give evidence of a forgery being on sale.

It seems all the more convincing as real ancient coins also show soft and blurred details very often - due to abrasion by circulation.

In this particular case "softness" is too regular and unmotivated in my eyes, especially on the reverse.

Abrasion can hardly be so regular, the more so as there is no real evidence of this coin being used.  

Offline Germania Magna

• Praetorian
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2019, 01:00:53 pm »
Here we have a quite good looking Caesar (Aeneas carrying Anchises; Crawford 458/1).

I can`t say for sure whether I wouldn`t bid (or wouldn`t have bidden) on it if it wasn`t offered by "dharmacoins" on ebay, but by a renowned auction house.

And this made me suspicious.  

So I am just happy to present this almost perfect fake (without having had the chance of buying it before, luckily, of course).

A scratch leaving such big bulges or elevations?

Anyway, to whom this isn`t proof enough, the E-graffiti seems to have been quite frequent for this coin-type at that time.  :-\

Compare added pics from the forum`s gallery of "proven" fakes.

Though it looks really good on this coin, however, cast scratches apparently leave traces.  

The election scene denarius by Publius Licinius (added in the second attachment) is also quite a stunning fake.

Above all the incuse looking inscription on the reverse seems to differ from originals.

In general, fakes like the ones offered by diosesdelolimpo or "drharmcoin" can be detected by looking out for brownish or grey stain/discoloration (resembling sandy patina) between elevated figures and depictions and the surface of the coin in general.  

For some reasons, this stain or coloring must come up when or after these coins are produced.  

It is a characteristic they all seem to have in common, with varying intensity. They all bear "exactly [or: roughly] the same toning",
as Lee S stated above.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity