Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Discussion: Otacilia Severa  (Read 2030 times)

Offline labienus

• Caesar
Re: Discussion: Otacilia Severa
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2018, 09:40:18 am »
I guess that - reading my comment - a lot of people will start playing darts with my picture but, at the end of the day, this is all about metal  :evil: so keep it cool ; if not beware the stroke  :)

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2018, 11:55:34 am »
What's the matter with the flan? Here are some features of the obv. shared by both coins. This phenomenon need an explanation.

Jochen

Offline Din X

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2018, 12:05:10 pm »
I promised to post the answer of the seller and this will be my last message here in this board.

Everyone here is of course free to contact the seller himself if he or she does not trust me, I would even appreciate it if anyone would verify it and so making my message even more reliable.

New message from: classiccoinsandcollectibles Top Rated Seller(16,553YellowShooting Star)
"sorry we had a major ebay glitch and we had to re list some of the items. it is the same coin and we did remove the other one.thanks CCC"

Everyone is free to have his own opinion !

But to tell your own opinion in public is only so long allowed as you do not harm others with it, except it is the truth !

I talked with a lawyer in the past and since them I am much more careful.
The lawyer said that I am only allowed to pretend things as facts as long as I can prove that they are actually facts and it will not help me even if it is the truth if I can not prove it..

To say seller said they are two different coins is a factual claim.
If this factual claim is not true and if you harm with this statement someone like the seller, the seller has the right to take legal actions.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2018, 12:29:20 pm »
Din X,

I am confident everything you have said is true and correct, except, one thing. I think you misread Robert Merz. I think he just misunderstood the seller and made an error. I don't believe he was lying or a troll.

I do not want this to by your last post. I appreciate your contributions to this discussion and to our fight against fakes and fake sellers. Please continue to post and share your good work and expertise.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2018, 02:17:44 pm »
Let us remember that one of the photos is poorly focused, which makes comparison very difficult and in some instances uncertain.

Offline glebe

• Caesar
    • Glebe Coins
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2018, 04:04:31 pm »
Very curious - particularly the dot above the P of Pietas - now you see it, now you don't!

Ross G.

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2018, 07:22:32 am »
There us a simple way to settle this.  Buy "both" coins and see how many come in the mail/

Offline Callimachus

• Caesar
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2018, 11:36:48 am »
Quote from glebe: "Very curious - particularly the dot above the P of Pietas - now you see it, now you don't!"

With PhotoShop or a similar piece of software, it is quite easy to make the dot disappear.

I bought a coin once where the dealer messed around with the photo to improve the coin. See the discussion at this link:
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=106798.msg654581#msg654581

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2018, 11:53:11 am »
I know the dot looks like a casting pearl of silver, but I would bet that the pearl is actually a spec of dust, or maybe a tiny piece of silver that chipped from the edge and is just sitting on the surface. I have taken enough photos to know little bits of stuff come out of nowhere and often look like they are a flaw on the coin.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Harry G

• Consul
« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2018, 12:24:42 pm »
What I have seen a couple of times on eBay is that the seller thinks 'Oh, those coins look the same, I'll save some time and photograph the same coin twice' or they had a 'production line' running where they photographed the coins they planned to sell and accidentally photographed the same one, and listed it as a different coin unawares. The seller might be lying instead and for some reason has decided to sell the same coin twice (although I see no way they could get away with it - they would have to post it twice!).
Please check out my gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=6793

Have a nice day!

Offline spinkpa

• Consul
« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2018, 12:55:19 pm »
I know the dot looks like a casting pearl of silver, but I would bet that the pearl is actually a spec of dust, or maybe a tiny piece of silver that chipped from the edge and is just sitting on the surface. I have taken enough photos to know little bits of stuff come out of nowhere and often look like they are a flaw on the coin.

(Ref: my previous post, now at the bottom of page 1)

It looks like the dot is on the coin but has been cloned (photoshopped) out on one image, though you might still need a good monitor to spot it even on the zoomed in images.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity