Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Lucius Verus Antiochia ad Menandrum  (Read 855 times)

Offline AlfaOmega

• Consul
Lucius Verus Antiochia ad Menandrum
« on: October 25, 2018, 01:02:38 pm »
Hi, I took this ae 28 of grams 14.30, emperor Lucius Verus city Antiochia at Meandrum. The collector who sold it to me on the reverse identifies Athena Promacos with a shield and a spear. His cardinal references are: NC 1938 and S 255.2, which I do not know what the references are. I found something similar or maybe the same on the net, but I see this figure I see winged? Or will it be a concretion? the obverse has a countermark from my research with Howgego I found the number 80 "head of Caracalla graduated", possible that Caracalla has impressed this countermark about 60 years later? I kindly ask if it is possible to help me with a certain classification it is for an identification of the Contromarca. the photos I hope are good if you ask me to do other ones. I thank you kindly is Greeting. Roberto

Offline Pekka K

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...
Re: Lucius Verus Antiochia ad Menandrum
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2018, 01:16:24 pm »
RPC IV (temp) 832:

http://rpc.ashmus.ox.ac.uk/coins/4/832/

(This is the referenced coin 255.2)

Pekka K

Offline AlfaOmega

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2018, 04:14:36 am »
Grazie.
contromarca?

Offline Pekka K

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2018, 04:33:17 am »

C/M = Howgego 22.

Pekka K

Offline AlfaOmega

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2018, 12:45:03 pm »
Grazie

Offline stevex6

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2018, 06:25:18 pm »
Awesome Caracalla-countermark (it's my favourite part of the coin)

+++

=> congrats on a super cool addition

All coins are guaranteed for eternity