Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Identification Help - Bronze About 29mm ca. 9 grams  (Read 765 times)

Offline PtolemAE

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • PtolemyBronze.com
    • The PtolemAE Project - Ptolemaic Bronzes
Identification Help - Bronze About 29mm ca. 9 grams
« on: October 22, 2018, 08:15:49 pm »
Hello Byzantine Experts

The images were taken with cell phone through plastic film so not the best but the design and inscriptions are pretty clear.  Looks like many Byzantine bronze coins I've seen and I have no expertise with them at all so hoping someone here will recognize the type and can help identify it.  Size about 29mm diameter, weight about 9 - 10 grams.  Seems about like the size and weight as a Roman imperial 'As' coin.

Reverse has a dotted border and inscription on four lines which appear to read (at least in part):

...hSUS
KRISTUS
BASIL...
.ASIL...

Letters appear like modern 'Roman' alphabet and seems likely the language is Latin.

More of the letters are clear but I'm not sure how they read.

There are two vertical strokes below the inscription

Obverse also seems to have dotted border and depicts of a person with long hair and symbols around the head (Christian depiction with cross would seem to be consistent with the inscription).

Begging your indulgence with compromised image quality.  Time period, ruler, date, mint, or other information will be helpful and thank you in advance for your help.

PtolemAE

Offline Vladislav D

• Caesar
Re: Identification Help - Bronze About 29mm ca. 9 grams
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2018, 09:42:52 pm »
Class A 3 anonymous follis .
 Basil II and Constantine VIII 1023-1028 AD .
 Obverse + EMMANOVHL, facing nimbate bust of Christ, pallium and colobium, holding gospels with both hands, to left IC, to right XC; nimbus and Gospels  Reverse + IhSuS / XRISTuS / bASILEu / bASILE (Jesus Christ King of Kings)
SBCV 1818
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/numiswiki/view.asp?key=Anonymous%20Follis

http://labarum.info/lbr/show.php?coin=18180

Regards,
Vlad .

Offline PtolemAE

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • PtolemyBronze.com
    • The PtolemAE Project - Ptolemaic Bronzes
Re: Identification Help - Bronze About 29mm ca. 9 grams
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2018, 02:24:51 am »
Class A 3 anonymous follis .
 Basil II and Constantine VIII 1023-1028 AD .
 Obverse + EMMANOVHL, facing nimbate bust of Christ, pallium and colobium, holding gospels with both hands, to left IC, to right XC; nimbus and Gospels  Reverse + IhSuS / XRISTuS / bASILEu / bASILE (Jesus Christ King of Kings)
SBCV 1818
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/numiswiki/view.asp?key=Anonymous%20Follis

http://labarum.info/lbr/show.php?coin=18180

Regards,
Vlad .

Thank you, Vlad.  That gets us on the right track.  The latter coin in your reference has somewhat different details - dots on the 'nimbus' decorations instead of little squares (on my specimen) and a different symbol beneath the inscription but it's clearly a related variant.  Upon closer inspection of my coin the small symbol at the bottom of the reverse appears to be another square, not simply the two vertical strokes I first described.  The reference on this web site to which you referred shows those symbol combinations and mine appears to be '#47'.

Is this particular type/variant especially common or in any way unusual?  Seems there are many varieties of decorations and symbols on these 'anonymous follies'.  It was put into its cardboard 2x2 holder in the early 1960s - my father's handwriting is on the holder.  I've had it a long time.  Kind of a nice thing to know more about.

PtolemAE

All coins are guaranteed for eternity