Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: A question about Patina  (Read 2307 times)

Offline Blayne W

• Consul
A question about Patina
« on: October 17, 2018, 05:18:02 pm »
Just starting in this hobby and trying to learn as I go.   Been reading just abnout everything I can, and cant wait until I get my scale so I can start weighing the coins I have to try to start Attributing them.

I have some coins that I acquired to practise cleaning on.  So far my cleaning on these have been hot DW and using a toothbrush.  This coin I have noticed seems to have several chunks out of it.  Is this missing Patina? or something else?

Thank you for all the great help the board has been so far.

Blayne

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
Re: A question about Patina
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2018, 06:10:54 pm »
Yes, the patina formed a fragile layer while beneath it the metal continued to deteriorate.  No real way to improve this coin I’m afraid.

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: A question about Patina
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2018, 10:31:38 am »
Yes, you have three things going on with this coin.

The patina is a visible, yet extremely thin, layer of dark green oxidization which has formed over the surface of the "bronze" (actually a copper, tin, lead mixture for this late Roman coin).

You also have some lumpy lighter green encrustations formed on the coin.  These are a result of copper adhesions on the coin and/or copper welling up from inside the coin.  In some cases these encrustations sit cleanly over the patina, in other cases (as I suspect here) there is no clean patina beneath.

Finally you have the bright spots where the patina is missing.  It is not only the patina which is missing but part of the surface of the coin has gone too so what remains is a pitted missing mass.  What is left is bare core metal slowly oxidizing.

There is nothing to be done to clean the coin further, but it should be stable and still has the details necessary for identification and enjoyment.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity