Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: ID Help with Roman AE20  (Read 252 times)

Offline Robert K

• Praetorian
ID Help with Roman AE20
« on: September 22, 2018, 12:54:11 am »
I purchased this coin today. What I know for certain is 20.4 mm, 6.1 gms.
I cannot make out any of the legend on the obverse.
I can read on the reverse:Greek_Alpha: :Greek_Gamma: :Greek_Chi: :Greek_Iota: :Greek_Alpha:

The dealer gave me a great deal of information which I cannot verify or find anywhere on the internet except an old link to that coin from the dealer so I cannot post it here.

Any independent information on this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: ID Help with Roman AE20
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2018, 01:06:25 am »
The coin is from Anchialos in Thrace minted under Septimius Severus:
https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=5206437
Regards

Altamura

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2018, 01:18:01 am »

Offline Robert K

• Praetorian
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2018, 01:49:54 am »
Altamura - Thank you very much. The dealer had the issuer as Severus Alexander which made it difficult for me to come up with more information.
You were able to find it either with very little information or you recognized it as Septimius Severus.

Again, thank you.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity