Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Maximianus Herculius, Hercules, RIC 515  (Read 483 times)

Offline maridvnvm

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Maximianus Herculius, Hercules, RIC 515
« on: September 21, 2018, 05:33:56 pm »
RIC V Pt. 2 515 has two quite distinct descriptions (entry attached below) - "Hercules stg., looking l., or walking r., holding club, trophy and lion's skin". I have been able to find quite a few examples of the standing type which would be described more accurately as "Hercules standing facing, head left, holding trophy, club and lion skin". Is the walking right type, which I believe would be the description of my (addmittedly poor) example below scarcer or am I simply not looking hard enough?

Obv:– IMP MAXIMIANVS P F AVG, Radiate, draped and cuirassed bust right
Rev:– VIRTVS AVGG, Hercules walking right, trophy over left shoulder, lion's skin draped over left arm, holding club in right hand
Minted in Rome (//XXIS).
Reference:– RIC V Pt. 2 515 Bust Type F.

Offline helveticus

• Praetorian
Re: Maximianus Herculius, Hercules, RIC 515
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2018, 11:26:25 am »
Hello Maridunum,
The walking type of Hercules is notably rarer than the standing type.
Of Roma's 6th officina I do not know more than 6 ex. in my database.
Your coin is then the 7th !
please refer to my detailed answer to L.e. on page 31, November 24,2016, cat.25822
congratulations
helveticus

All coins are guaranteed for eternity