Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Interesting Pius capricorn denarius variant  (Read 604 times)

Offline timka

• Caesar
Interesting Pius capricorn denarius variant
« on: September 18, 2018, 03:42:30 pm »
Hi!

There is an interesting and rare variant of Pius denarius where Felicitas (or Pax) holds capricorn instead of branch as on common type.  This variant with capricorn seems to be related to aureus depicting the same reverse, recorded as RIC 131. Any denarius with capricorn was not recorded by Cohen and RIC. Only later Stack saw two specimens in Berlin and Sofia - St 164/RSC 250a.

Ob. ANTONINVS AVG PIVS PP, laur head right
Rev. COS IIII, Felicitas left holding capricorn and vertical caduceus

RIC 131 (aureus), RSC 250a (St 164)

3,15g - 18mm - 7h

Thank you for your time.

Z.

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Interesting Pius capricorn denarius variant
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2018, 08:09:48 pm »
A nice find! A rarity that I was not aware of. Strack 164 actually knew three specimens of this denarius, two in Berlin (one illustrated on his pl. II), and one in Sofia.

Checking CoinArchives, I find that a nice specimen was offered by Gitbud & Naumann in 2014, but I obviously overlooked it, since I don't remember bidding for it, and it sold quite cheaply at 55 euros plus fees! See image below.

The same type also occurs on aurei, as you mention, and on bronze coins, where its legend was FELICITAS AVG S C, COS IIII having been moved to the obv. legend. I note that there are a number of minor varieties of the type: Felicitas may place her weight on either her right or her left leg; she may hold her caduceus either towards the top with bent l. arm, or toward the middle with extended l. arm; and the caduceus may be either winged or without wings. Compare the aureus below, where her weight is on her left leg (r. leg bent), she holds the middle of the caduceus with extended l. forearm, and the caduceus lacks wings.

On the three illustrated denarii (yours, Berlin's, G & N's), Felicitas places her weight on her r. leg, her caduceus lacks wings, and she holds the caduceus higher with bent l. arm, though this detail seems a little obscure on your specimen.

Curtis Clay

Offline timka

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2018, 02:17:05 pm »
...I also found this G&N denarius on acsearch. The obverse die is the same with my coin, but for the reverse I am not so sure. Additionally, there are more than 10 aurei with the same reverse on acsearch, as well as there are 3 aurei like this in BM collection. The aurei vary in style as you noted.

The count of the bronzes goes in dozens and dozens on acsearch, so the bronzes with this reverse are really common.

It is very unusual case when denarius is much rarer than respective aurei and bronzes.

Offline Diederik

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem, vita brevis est!
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2018, 02:14:48 pm »
Very nice find! I have the coin in my books, but not in my collection (yet) Hope to find one!
Congrats,

Frans

All coins are guaranteed for eternity