Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Was this Julia Mamaea denarius tooled both obverse and reverse  (Read 665 times)

Offline Robert K

• Praetorian
Was this Julia Mamaea denarius tooled both obverse and reverse
« on: September 18, 2018, 12:30:01 am »
I am wondering if anyone else has an opinion about this coin having been tooled. I do not see any tooling marks but I am a little surprised at how sharp and high the hair details are on the obverse when the die seems to be mid-stage.  I think the reverse has a good strike but very intricate lines in Juno.

Thank you for any opinions.

Offline shanxi

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
Re: Was this Julia Mamaea denarius tooled both obverse and reverse
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2018, 03:46:36 am »
In my opinion the coin is not tooled.

Offline maridvnvm

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2018, 04:09:46 am »
The seller, who is a well known and reputable one, describes it as having "a fantastic bust and an incredible reverse".

Offline stevex6

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2018, 09:09:16 am »
Great coin => total winna

+++

Offline Robert K

• Praetorian
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2018, 03:14:40 pm »
The seller, who is a well known and reputable one, describes it as having "a fantastic bust and an incredible reverse".

I was wondering why I didn't remember reading that. I went back to the dealer's description and saw it was written in French. As soon as I see the French language, I bail out. This time I read it and a few of the words are close enough to English I could make out some of the description.

Offline Robert K

• Praetorian
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2018, 03:15:24 pm »
Thank you to all who replied. I appreciate your opinions.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity