Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: tetradrachm of Gallienus  (Read 1470 times)

Offline Vladimir P

• Consul
tetradrachm of Gallienus
« on: September 14, 2018, 01:31:04 am »
I'm sorry for the worn piece. I ask for help from someone who has catalog of Emmet - interesting in degree of rarity. I found similar only in BNF coll. Paris
https://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b8485458d

Gallienus; Tetradrachm, Egypt BI (8.93 gr, 20 mm, h 12)

Vladimir P

He who makes no mistakes makes nothing

Offline iwaniw

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: tetradrachm of Gallienus
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2018, 11:11:48 pm »
Vladmir P,

It is Emmett-3807(9-theta). It has a rarity of R4. There are 2 different varieties: obverse cuirassed and draped and just with cuirass, but the condition of your coin does not allow me to tell which variety of obverse you have, but I suspect cuirassed.  Zagreb-61 is another of your type.

Rare coin.

Iwaniw

Offline Vladimir P

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2018, 09:41:18 am »
Many thanks, Iwaniw!
This coin attracted me by  :Greek_Theta_2: letter of the date

With respect,
Vladimir
Vladimir P

Offline Vladimir P

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2019, 09:12:39 am »
it was interesting to research about this type.
Theta-series described in essay of Paul A. Legutko in NC vol. 162 (2002). The author refers this series to the so-called "crude style". The coins were minted during Quietus Revolt at the mint of Thebes.
Ref. # of my coin is 044 according to catalogue of Legutko
V.
Vladimir P

Offline iwaniw

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2019, 06:13:21 pm »
I would be interested in seeing the Leguto article.

I have a list of about 20-21 theta coin types. They are from a different die carver than the normal Gallienus coins, but might be by the same die carver as the Salonina coins of years 11-15. It is the first I have heard that they were minted in Thebes.

When Gallienus was recognized during years 8 to 9, with Macrianus and Quietus in their year 1=year 8 of Gallienus, is still not certain.

What I see is the following:

LH -- joint reign issues of Valerian I, Gallienus, Salonina and Saloninus (all extremely rare)

Some year 8 dies were modified from LH to LA -- After which coins of LA for Macrianus and Quietus were issued (style of the Valerian family tetradrachms). There are no year 2 issues.

LH sole reign tetradrachms of Gallienus (obverse inscription changed for the sole reign).

LTHETA issues of Gallienus

LHA sole reign of Gallienus. It was assumed by Milne that LHA was issued in year 9 as the date was modified from Ltheta  (obverse dies better than LTHETA ones)

Then LENATOV issues of Gallienus.

The papyri evidence is very confusing and does not seem to support Gallienus being recognized in year 8 of his sole reign.

Iwaniw

Offline Vladimir P

• Consul
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2019, 01:08:00 pm »
Thanks a lot for detailed overview!

Legutko's article can be read on JSTORE (need to register)  :arrowright: https://www.jstor.org/stable/42668205?seq=1#page_scan_tab_contents

Best regards! Good luck
V.
Vladimir P

Offline iwaniw

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2019, 12:20:50 am »
Vladimir,

I finally got a copy of the Legutko article.

It notes a few interesting die links. There are several new items, many of which are in the Dattari/Savio book, which was not cited. As well, there are some new types in recent auctions.

I think all three forms of the year 9 dating (LTheta, LHA and LENATOV) must have been struck in Alexandria, but in shared or different officinas. Even some of the LHA coins have some crude engraving. The large number of reverse types having Ltheta actually shows that there was no haste in issuing coins. The rule of thumb for Alexandria is that when large coin output is needed, fewer reverse types are used. The other interesting point to note is that some Ltheta coins have cloak+cuirass on the obverse (=Milne k bust type) which is a common bust type in year 10-- not found on LHA or LENATOV coins.

Here's a Quietus tetradrachm with A cut over H. I have seen this die modification on two other coins of Macrianus (Homonoia and Nike reverses) but so far I have only seen the Eagle for Quietus.

Iwaniw

All coins are guaranteed for eternity