Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: I received this roman oil lamp but no info from its provenance  (Read 4428 times)

Yves D

I received this roman oil lamp but no info from its provenance
« on: September 10, 2018, 09:14:54 am »
Hi all,
A friend who's father had to go to a home cleaned the house and gave me this oil lamp. I'm sure its an original but would like to know more as to which era and location it came from. I see some faces on the surface. haven't tried to clean it of course.
Anyone can help me on which area of the roman world I have to look?
Thanks!

Yves D

Re: I received this roman oil lamp but no info from its provenance
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2018, 09:10:38 am »
I think this is the one from 2nd Centrury AD :)

Source: https://archive.org/stream/catalogueofgreek00brit#page/166

Yves D

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2018, 09:36:04 am »
and found a second source: [COMMERCIAL LINK REMOVED BY ADMIN]

Ancient Roman, Asia Minor, 2nd Century AD. Neat Roman terracotta lamp depicting 3 theater masks. With ridge around the discus and continuing as a channel on the rounded spout, pellets around the shoulder and ring handle; the bottom flattened. Light deposits and a nice type! 3 1/2 x 2 1/2 in (8.7 x 6.4 cm). Cf. Bussiere/Rivel, La Collection Rivel (BAR 2012), p. 180, no. 195 for the type.

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2018, 10:19:02 am »
Excellent detective work Yves !!

I wasn't aware of the British Museum work, and have now downloaded it.

Craig

All coins are guaranteed for eternity