Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Sorting Files in member galleries  (Read 4091 times)

sjbrinkman@comcast.net

Sorting Files in member galleries
« on: August 13, 2018, 08:32:55 pm »
I’m new to the website and just started a personal gallery of my collection.   I’ve tried to sort the files and the message indicates they have been re-indexed but the sort is not applied when I enter the gallery.   The instructions say:

The custom sort order you can specify on this page will only be taken into account if:
the admin has set the "Default sort order for files" in the config to "Position descending" or "Position ascending" (global setting for all users who haven't chosen another sort option individually)
the user has chosen "Position descending" or "Position ascending" on the thumbail page (per user setting)

I have searched for a couple of days and can’t find a “position Ascending/Descending” setting that I can change.   Its probably right in front of me but if anyone can help me navigate to effect a sort of my collection gallery, I would appreciate it.

Offline Enodia

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: Sorting Files in member galleries
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2018, 12:52:51 am »
I use 'Position +', and I don't know why everyone doesn't.

you upload your coin, then hit 'Sort My Pictures' (or Files, or whatever it says), and then you can move them wherever you want them. no ridiculously long file names, no inevitably obsolete numbering systems, just a one time arrangement and voila', you're organized.

you do have to re-hit 'Position +' again each time you clear your cache, but that's easy enough.

~ Peter

sjbrinkman@comcast.net

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2018, 09:35:57 am »
Enodia,
     Thanks.   Once I located the "Position +" item in the upper right hand corner of the thumbnail view.  I was able to select it and my sorting worked.

sjbrinkman@comcast.net

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2018, 09:41:38 am »
Actually, no it doesn't.  It seems to sort properly to my specifications in thumbnail view only, but If i enter the collection from the members gallery list index, the order in which I added the coins is displayed and the sort order is ignored.

Offline Enodia

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2018, 01:07:24 pm »
If you say so,  I've  never used that index. I always access my gallery from the link in my signature line or a bookmark.

- Peter

sjbrinkman@comcast.net

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2018, 10:04:11 am »
Enodia, Thanks for your help.   I have solved my problem with your guidance, and simply by reading the headings on the site (duh!).   When I click on "my gallery", it takes be to the page where the main content is "Last additions" which are by design sorted by the order they were added.  If I click on my signature line, all is arranged correctly.

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2018, 12:05:22 pm »
Steve B5,

Welcome to the Forum and thank you for starting this exceptionally informative gallery.  Thanks also for your website, which I have come to depend on!  

In designing your gallery, you might consider creating separate "albums" as a means of separating the various anonymous series.  I've done this in my Roman Republican gallery (linked below) to create an organizational framework.  It might help as you start to add additional series beyond Cr 44.

Offline Anaximander

• Caesar
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2019, 08:13:33 am »
Sorted!  This was a helpful discussion of best practices.  Best to use albums in your gallery and to index pictures within each.

I've just now completed a resorting of the pictures in my galleries, using the Picture Manager, and will use Position + as my go-to sorting order.  It was a lesson well learned: much better to sort pictures before a mass upload, and better to use Position+ than Titles or File Names. 

It went like this: From any Members' Galleries page, click on Sort my pictures.
Select an album from the drop-down list in the Picture Manager. 
Select a file from the list and click the up or down arrow to change its location in the sequence.
Click on Apply Modifications, confirm the modifications, and the gallery is reindexed.

Simples!

I like how Enodia alerts viewers of his galleries to use the Position+ sort.  “(please choose 'Position +' for proper order)”
We get to view the coins in their proper sequence.

Anaximander

All coins are guaranteed for eternity