Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Best app for coin collectors  (Read 2755 times)

Offline Marshall T

• Auxiliary
Best app for coin collectors
« on: August 01, 2018, 09:17:01 am »
I used to have all my coins catalogued using the software 'collectorcollector.com' but it appears to be defunct.  What do you suggest is a really good app for cataloguing an ancient coin collection?

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
Re: Best app for coin collectors
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2018, 12:04:19 pm »
I used to have all my coins catalogued using the software 'collectorcollector.com' but it appears to be defunct.  What do you suggest is a really good app for cataloguing an ancient coin collection?

Since I first read about coin collection apps, probably 1996 or so, I've witnessed dozens of potential apps or programmes with enthusiastic users, and a few years later they are always all defunct. So the clear answer from two decades of seeing this question is, no app at all. Instead use

- Excel or a spreadsheet equivalent such as from LibreOffice or OpenOffice
- or Access or database equivalent
- either or both in combination with an seriously long term gallery solution for the coin images, such as Flickr which is the largest such site and has been around longest, that allows you to export images via links or BBCode or download to which ever spreadsheet or database you use.

Important thing is to go with the biggest and longest term options. My first coin spreadsheet was made in Lotus 1-2-3 in the mid 1980s and it's basically the same spreadsheet I use today with a few more bells and whistles in Excel.

Don't go with any app or custom programme.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2018, 01:21:49 pm »
Ideally all our members would catalog their collections in our Members' Gallery. It is a very simple database without any bells and whistles but it does allow others to see your coins and use your write up for research. 
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline PMah

• Caesar
  • Qui risus classe devicta multas ipsi lacrimas...
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2018, 10:51:04 pm »
I second both Joe and Andrew.  I am prepping dozens of coins for the Forum gallery.  Slowly.

I'll add a comment that many of the coin apps are really just an interface to a database written in one of the platforms Andrew listed.  So you may be able to find an "export" function in the software that will allow you to save the data in a transferrable format.

I have an older app, but it allows, and I make, my backups in both xls spreadsheet and filemaker database formats.  That way, I should have a rescue copy for a major platform for the day when the interface fails.  Plus, the spreadsheet version is handy as a checklist in various sorting orders.

Final  thought:  figure out a good method to name your photo files to conform to your spreadsheet data ID numbers.  The first 200 coins in my collection have highly useless photo file names that are taking me many hours to rationalize. 
Be Well, Stay Healthy, Support your Local Numismatic Club

Paul 

My Gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album

Offline suarez

• Procurator Monetae
  • Praetorian
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2018, 02:46:23 pm »
Spreadsheets are cumbersome and not designed to manipulate visual data. For the original poster a counter-question would be "what do you want the app to do for you?"

Rasiel

All coins are guaranteed for eternity