Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: 7th Century Byzantine Seal Kononos the Tourmarkos? Zacos 899  (Read 1372 times)

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
I acquired a very intriguing Byzantine lead seal.  It measures approximately 23.2 mm by 29.12 mm and weighs 14.56g On the obverse, there is between two branches three lines reading:

KO
NW
NOC

On the reverse, there is between two branches and a cross above three lines reading
TOYP
MAP
XOY

The seal's envelope reads: "Byzantine lead seal 7th Century of  Kononos the Tourmarkos branch ko-nw-noc branch ; branch toyi-map koy branch cf. Zacos 899  The naval title tourmarkos was part of the drougarious presumably the same Kononos"

Is the dating to the 7th century and the attribution correct?  I don't have the reference Zacos so I cannot check.  Would the official/seal be from the vicinity of the capital Constantinople if he was with the  drougarious - the commander of the Byzantine fleet?  Pogh_poor
All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
Re: 7th Century Byzantine Seal Kononos the Tourmarkos? Zacos 899
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2018, 12:09:28 pm »
This is a very nice and interesting seal because it may belong to a future emperor. The description needs some corrections but it is better than most encountered in the market place. The seal owner's name is Konon. Kononos is the genitive form of the name. He is a 'tourmarches'. The note below does not make sense. A tourmarches was a senior military commander, in charge of a ‘tourma’, which was a division of about 2000-5000 soldiers. The tourmarches of an army were subject to a strategos. I think the Zacos seal has the court dignity of patrikios, but I'd have to check. In any case, they do belong to the same individual in two phases of his career. The 'patrikios' seal is younger because the dignity is too high for a tourmarches. So he must have made a promotion, likely to strategos, but Konon chose to include the dignity on his new seal rather than the funcion. I'll get back to you on this as soon as I am able. But maybe with this information you can investigate further yourself!
Regards
Gert

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2018, 04:52:27 pm »
Could this be a seal of the future Leo III born Konon?  He is noted to have become a strategos  of the military theme of Anatolikon in 713-716
The Dumbarton Oaks seal collection has seals from a Konon including one who listed himself with the office of Metropolitan. Does the style correspond to the dates of Leo III?  Pogh_poor
All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2018, 03:25:55 am »
Yes, Leo III. But first let's have a look at the published seals:
* These Dumbarton Oaks seals of other Konon's are different persons. The Kononos/Cononi is too old to be a match, and the Konon metropolites must be a different person because this is a cleric, an archbishop, a different kind of career as our Konon, who was a military commander and held worldly court dignities.
* There are two seal types of Konon.

1) The oldest (1 ex in Athens, Konstantopulos 450a, cited by Seibt, BBÖ, p. 268), of which your seal is an example has the military rank of tourmarches. A commander of a tourma, which was a large division of the army of a Byzantine theme (province) under the command of a strategos. The seal does not mention the court dignity.
2) The younger seal lists the court diginity of patrikios, but does not mention the office/military rank. Examples in Vienna (Seibt BBÖ, 136) and in the Zacos coll., (Zacos/Veglery 899).

Now, we can be fairly certain these seals belong to the same person, because the overall design and epigraphy is very similar, most importantly, both feature the cypress trees to l. and r. of the legend. These trees might also help date the seal in the beginning of the 8th century, because the cypresses appear flanking the Virgin on imperial seals of Justinian and Theodosius III (707-711 and 715-717) - an important observation made by Seibt.

Of course it is very tempting to ascribe the seal to the future emperor Leo III. Leo, under his birth name of Konon, was raised to strategos, commander, of the Anatolikon theme by Anastasios II (713-715), who was usurped by Theodosios III in 715.  Konon, as strategos of Anatolikon, colluded with Artabasdos, his collegue in command of the Armeniakon theme, and they succeeded to depose Theodosios III and Konon rose to the purple as Leo III. It seems very likely that these seals belong to him:

1) The date of the seal fits perfectly the early decades of the 8th century in which Leo III had his military career.
2) The seals of Konon belong to a military commander, as attested by the high rank of tourmarches.
3) The rank of strategos is not known on seals, but the court dignity of patrikios would fit this supreme command of a theme. In any case, it is too high a dignity for a tourmarches. So when Konon was raised to strategos of Anatolikon by Anastasios, his court dignity would have been raised as well to patrikios, if this hadn't happened before.
4) The sources only mention that Leo III was a strategos, and remain silent about his earlier career. It is however very probably that he was a tourmarches at one point, because that is the rank right below strategos.

Thanks for posting, it was a pleasure looking things about this one.
Regards
Gert

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2018, 03:21:26 pm »
Gert

Thank you again for all your assistance in identifying this interesting seal possibly from the official who would become Emperor Leo III!  Pogh_poor

All coins are guaranteed for eternity