Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Interesting Damnatio(?) from Perga  (Read 1384 times)

Offline Robert H7

• Praetorian
Interesting Damnatio(?) from Perga
« on: July 14, 2018, 11:25:21 am »
I haven't posted out here for a while but thought folks might find this coin interesting.  It was described as a Medallion but I think only because of it's extraordinary thickness - 34mm and 39.31 grams.   It is an issue of Septimius Severus from Perga with a reverse cult statue of Artmemis.  The obverse has what seems clearly like a deliberate cut right through the emperor's head, and it is also pretty clearly ancient.    It has a provenance to a 1981 Sternberg Auction (XI lot 327)  and also shares a reverse die with a coin sold by CNG 85 lot 592

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Akropolis Ancient Coins
Re: Interesting Damnatio(?) from Perga
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2018, 04:11:58 pm »
A great coin! Congrats.
PeteB

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2018, 09:36:36 am »
Hi RH7,

Congratulations on owning an interesting coin. :)

The star and crescent in the temple really intrigue me.

Meepzorp

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2018, 10:42:37 am »
I like the detailed reverse type, nice condition, and heavy weight, but am not convinced that the obv. cut is damnatio.

To prove that we would need further examples with similar cuts. Since Septimius' memory was not condemned, on the contrary he was consecrated as Divus, it is very unlikely that any of his coins suffered deliberate, officially ordained damnatio.
Curtis Clay

Offline Robert H7

• Praetorian
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2018, 04:11:03 pm »
Thanks for the replies - and thank you Curtis Clay for the input I of course appreciate your knowledge.  I agree there is no way now to say for certain it is a damnatio, just seems like a really strange and deliberate placement. W hen I have it in hand I should be able to see if the cut is truly ancient.  really hoping it is not from a shovel.  If it is a damnatio I was thinking it more likely one of his boys may have deflowered a daughter or something more more personal than a political statement.  :)

Offline Robert H7

• Praetorian
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2018, 07:40:18 pm »
Just to wrap this one up the cut is certainly ancient in my opinion.  and it seems like it was maybe two strikes there is a slight angle about halfway through.  Here are a few pics, really chunky in hand.   

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2018, 08:20:56 pm »
Really great piece

All coins are guaranteed for eternity