Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Judean Coins & Bronze Disease  (Read 1178 times)

Offline lawrence c

• Consul
Judean Coins & Bronze Disease
« on: July 07, 2018, 08:04:59 pm »
A question for folks who have handled a lot of coins. Over the last few years, I've had some issues with bronze disease with some coins (and of course have done a lot of cursing and scrubbing [in that order]). For some reason, the major problem children have been Judaean coins. Is the particular alloy of these strikes more prone to bronze disease? Thanks for any info.
Best,
Larry

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: Judean Coins & Bronze Disease
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2018, 10:18:10 am »
I don't know whether it is an alloy issue, or due to the soil in the region (acidic ?), but I agree fully with your observation.  Judaean coins are among the worst when it comes to prevalence of BD.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline lawrence c

• Consul
Re: Judean Coins & Bronze Disease
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2018, 07:31:40 pm »
Thanks. I've had some real hair-pulling moments. Some I'm just keeping in silica gel, which seems to at least retard the process.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity