Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Felt n' Putty  (Read 3522 times)

Offline Nemonater

• Caesar
Felt n' Putty
« on: June 23, 2018, 03:59:51 pm »
Does anyone have a recommendation for coin-safe felt to line a tray?  I've heard some types are more abrasive to coins than others. 

I'm also looking for a recommendation for inert putty to use to position coins for photography.

I've looked online without success.

Thanks in advance,

Nemo

Offline PMah

• Caesar
  • Qui risus classe devicta multas ipsi lacrimas...
Re: Felt n' Putty
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2018, 11:50:34 pm »
"Felt" is actually a process rather than a specific fabric.  Traditional felt implies sheep wool, but the process really means a matting of fibers through friction, rather than a knitted fabric or a fabric woven so that the fiber ends are exposed (which is called velvet when very fine.)  So "felt" can come in various materials and degrees of smoothness.  Basic craft shop felt these days is usually plastic/polyester/acrylic fibers and probably not ideal for coins.  Cotton felt is probably most inert.  Sheep wool is probably more durable and traditional and has a tiny amount of residual lanolin, which would have a mild reactive aspect, partly as a moisture barrier and perhaps leading to "cabinet toning" over time.  Wool is what is found in most traditional coin cabinets.  If you had a fine wool felt, such as merino, you'd have little risk to coins and a traditional look.  But more expensive than acrylic. 
    As to putty or wax, there is both Renaissance Wax and Quakehold, both of which purport to be inert.  But there are probably methods to make photos without needing any substance on the coin at all.  Most photo set ups keep the coin horizontal.
Be Well, Stay Healthy, Support your Local Numismatic Club

Paul 

My Gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album

Offline Nemonater

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2018, 02:53:53 pm »
Thanks PMah, i'll look for some merino felt.  The putty I'm looking for is to keep my coins level when photographing them.  I image them horizontally but it's never perfectly flat because of the relief.  I would like to put a bit of putty on the one side to correct the problem.  I just don't want to damage the coin or the patina in the process.

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2018, 09:25:55 pm »
Quakehold seems to be similar to a product I have used called The Museum Putty. 

It is to help stick items, but I ind it does sometimes leave a darkened residue or at least a dark stain so I would not use it on anything too precious.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline dougsmit

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek & Roman Coins
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2018, 12:14:43 am »
I use the same clay used for making plaster casts of coins but my coins are not proofs and I do not know any study on its safety.  We have been making casts longer than we have been worried about such things.
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=29974.0

A minor tilt of a coin relative to the light can make a lot of difference in the image so a spot of clay is often needed.   I have had good results using a prop for the coin that is a hollow tube allowing tilting of the coin by changing the part of the relief that falls in the hollow.  I currently use a support fashioned from a old disposable ball point pen with 'rubber' grip which I pulled up to extend above the plastic tube.   I have a variety of sizes of tops which are supported on a steel rod for coins of various sizes and support needs.

Offline Nemonater

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2018, 06:30:26 am »
Thanks Doug, I ordered some plastina today.  Fun thread too!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity