Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Lebanon copper coin 16g and 2.8cm diameter unidentified  (Read 1481 times)

Diane T

Lebanon copper coin 16g and 2.8cm diameter unidentified
« on: June 06, 2018, 12:10:17 am »
Hello
I am a neophyte in numismatic and searched hours for pictures comparisons. the obverse is a head facing towards right. Copper ( it was bluish and I cleaned with salt and vinegar , which worked). Reverse: wreath that doesnt go all around. in the center, could be arabic writing, or the profile of a person if turned 90 degrees. Could you help me with the identigfication please?

Offline RL

• Consul
Re: Lebanon copper coin 16g and 2.8cm diameter unidentified
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2018, 12:42:11 am »
Hi Diane T

Welcome to the board. I would guess it is a Tetradrachm from Aeolis Myrina like this one from one of the Members Galleries:

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-62204

Some of the details that should be on the reverse are absent on your coin. I'm not particularly familiar with Greek coins so it may be that I have the wrong type or it may simply be wear on your example or limitations in the photo.  Someone with more experience may be able to assist further. Likewise, I can't comment authoritatively on authenticity although I do note that you have described it as copper. Whether it's copper or not isn't entirely clear to me from your photos but if it is copper and I have the type right that's not a good sign as it should be silver.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2018, 08:18:52 am »
It appears to be a cast and copper or bronze.  It is a replica of the silver type RL links to above.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Diane T

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2018, 12:59:11 am »
Thank you very much for this information. The one I have is definitely a replicate of a original silver one. I found it in the ground, so must have fallen from a pocket!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity