Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Looking for a French coin dealer  (Read 53 times)

Offline Yoel S

• Legionary
Looking for a French coin dealer
« on: March 05, 2024, 09:56:59 am »
I know this is a long shot, but I thought I'd try anyway :)

I recently purchased a CY162 Tyrian half-shekel from Incitatus Coins (picture at https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=185920), and I'm starting to do a bit of research into it. The seller was unsure of its provenance, but told me he bought it several years ago from a dealer in France. Is there anyway to track down who that dealer might have been?

PHOENICIA, Tyre AR silver half shekel, 19mm, 7.0g. Tyre, or Jerusalem (as per Meshorer), dated CY 162 (36-37 CE). Laureate head of Melkart right, lion skin around neck. Reverse - Eagle standing left on prow; palm frond in background; to left, PΞB (date) above club; to right, KP above XX; Phoenician A between legs. DCA-Tyre 385 (same dies as illustration, also a die match for Triton XXV, #6161); RPC I 4695; HGC 10, 358; DCA 922.

Offline Tracy Aiello

• Caesar
Re: Looking for a French coin dealer
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2024, 02:18:00 pm »
Yoel,

The only numismatic dealer in France off of the top of my head, although I'm sure there are more, is cgb.fr Numismatics, Paris. I note that you can search their online sales catalog and it will return both available items and items that were sold. Not sure how long they keep/return sold items on the website, but it's worth a shot.

All the best,

Tracy

All coins are guaranteed for eternity